About Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a diversified, community-based financial services company with $1.92 trillion in assets. Wells Fargo’s vision is to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage products and services, as well as consumer and commercial finance, through 7,200 locations, more than 13,000 ATMs, the internet (wellsfargo.com) and mobile banking, and has offices in 31 countries and territories to support customers who conduct business in the global economy. Wells Fargo serves one in three households in the United States. Wells Fargo & Company was ranked No. 30 on Fortune’s 2020 rankings of America’s largest corporations.
Wells Fargo Legal Department
Our vision is to advance the company's strategy, support its transformation, and effectively manage risk through a team known for collaboration, sound judgment, and proactive advice.
We support our vision with four strategic pillars: Integrated Business Advice, Risk Management, Talent & Leadership Development, and Operational Excellence. #LegalDeptJobs
The Head of External Counsel and Third Party Risk Management will work closely with the Deputy General Counsel for Legal Strategy, Innovation, and Administration (LSIA), other senior members of the Legal Department, and business stakeholders at all levels of the company. As our Head of External Counsel Management, you will have primary responsibility for driving our strategy to retain outstanding external legal support for Wells Fargo in the smartest and most cost-effective way possible.
- Guide the Legal Staff’s outside counsel and third-party vendor relationships
- Collaborate with Legal Department leadership to evaluate the existing outside legal counsel and third-party vendor network, both domestic and international with the goal of retaining/improving quality, increasing efficiency, maximizing value, and improving predictability
- Conduct RFP processes, where appropriate
- Lead cost, performance, and risk management for outside counsel and vendors
- Develop pricing models and templates for use across the Legal Staff
- Negotiate fee arrangements with outside counsel and third-party vendors
- Manage reporting and analyses of legal services and spend, as well as internal metrics
- Understand industry trends, benchmarking, and best practices in legal operations
- Partner with colleagues in Legal, Finance, IT, and other departments on initiatives
- Maintain and support a culture of legal compliance and excellence
We are seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual to join our legal team. A successful candidate for the role will be a highly skilled lawyer and communicator who is (1) skilled at navigating a complex financial services company, (2) knowledgeable on a wide range of topics relevant to investment banking and sales and trading businesses, (3) skilled in analyzing complex issues and matters and developing a work plan for handling them, and (4) proactive, self-sufficient, personable, creative, composed, and flexible.
- Active State Bar membership
- 10+ years of practicing as an attorney with a major law firm, banking regulatory agency, or in-house law department, including 4+ years of representing financial services firms in banking regulatory or transactional activities
- 4+ years of management experience leading large teams of attorneys and other legal professionals practicing in the area of banking regulatory or transactional activities in a major law firm, banking regulatory agency or in-house law department
- Budget management experience
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships within and across business lines at all levels of the organization
- Ability to make complex decisions
- Effective organizational, multi tasking, and prioritizing skills
- Ability to lead and motivate staff to prioritize work, meet deadlines, achieve goals, and work under pressure in a dynamic and complex environment
- Leadership and management experience for multiple legal divisions and managers with staff representation across multiple geographic locations
- Ability to develop and execute business vision, strategies and goals to achieve corporate objectives
Other Desired Qualifications
- Experience in outside counsel management in a multinational corporation or law firm
- Experience negotiating pricing and alternative fee arrangements is preferred; an understanding of law firm economics, billing, pricing, and compensation practices is also preferred
- Financial acumen including expert knowledge of researching, collecting, manipulating, analyzing large and complex data sets and succinct data presentation
- Ability to collaborate, build relationships, gain credibility, and partner effectively with others up and down a matrixed organization
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communicator
- All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.