Automation Controls Engineer
This position will have technical hardware and software scope. Managing of electrical interfaces between manufacturing equipment and facility systems is expected e.g. electrical load estimation, panel power on, electrical bus layout reviews. This role is a combination of both technical engineering and project management. A successful candidate will work closely with an integrator or vendor from project initiation to handover to operations. They will be expected to implement existing electrical and controls standards, provide feedback to improve standards, review electrical drawings, review PLC code, development function blocks if needed, lead electrical and controls at factory acceptance tests, and manage site installation and commissioning. Technical knowledge is needed in all phases of the project as the Controls Engineer should be able to provide technical input and take over hands on to solve the problem if required. This is a role with broad engineering scope with a strong focus on record-pace project execution.
• Development of Siemens TIA Controls Standard. Implementing new features, improving HMI and SCADA architecture and providing clear documentation:
• Select and size electrical, and electromechanical components with consideration to operability and cost.
• Create or expand internal control standards; exploiting existing solutions and established industrial standards.
• Champion controls safety design and assess systems to PLD / SIL 2 safety levels; creating holistic safe systems from hardware selection, installation and safety programs.
• Design robust manufacturing network infrastructure with a regard to real-time interlocked systems and safety protocols.
• Engage with vendors and factory utility teams to help define MV/LV power distribution networks
• Ensure control panels are designed and fabricated to appropriate global standards.
• Defining project electrical and controls technical requirements; employing standards, engaging with other internal technical teams.
• Communicating technical requirements to vendors and determining vendor selection suitability.
• Communication to a broad range of internal stake holders regarding execution strategies and project progress.
• Overlook vendor timelines and resources; manage panel fabrication, field wiring and system deliverables.
• Create and validate test plans for vendors and suppliers; lead teams or self-perform FAT & SAT procedures.
• BS/MS degree in electrical, computer, mechanical, or mechatronics engineering
• 2+ years of hands-on controls, automation, and/or electromechanical experience
• Proven track record of successful project execution.
• Professional Engineering License or equivalent is preferred
• Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical / mechatronic systems.
• Programming languages (Java, Python, C, C++, C#, VB, SCA)
• Experience programming Cartesian, SCARA, and articulated robots (Fanuc, Kuka, Motoman, Epson) is highly desired
• Databases (MSSWL, MySWL, Access, etc.)
• Ladder logic / Safety PLCs (Siemens TIA, Allen Bradley, Beckhoff, GE, Koyo)
• Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI - WinCC, Ignition, AB Panelview, FactoryTalk, LabView)
• Field bus networks (Profinet, Profisafe, Ethernet IP, AB Devicenet)
• Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc, Nagase, Omron, Datalogic)
• CAD (AutoCAD, CATIA, Revit, SolidWorks)
• General understanding of low / medium voltage electrical power distribution systems and backup power schemes for critical processes.
• Ideal candidate is familiar with Project Management strategies such as Agile and Front End Loading.