As a preeminent health sciences campus, the facility is dedicated to creating new knowledge from the exploding volume of clinical, discovery, and education data that it creates and manages. COMPANY believes that the ability to leverage these data assets will be an important differentiator among academic health care centers in the near future and is critical to our drive towards Precision Medicine and to advance our strategy of Innovation at Scale.
The Chief Data Officer (CDO) has the critical role of bridging activities between people, process, and technology across the COMPANY Health System, Schools and the Research Enterprise. The CDO also plays a leadership role to represent COMPANY across the various UC Health organizations and network with their partners, nationally and internationally. This person will be the strategic enabler of transforming patient care, education and research by leveraging analytics to empower decision-making and discovery. The scope of work includes ensuring appropriate enterprise wide access to data, use of data, analytics, governance and stewardship and in a manner that meets the unique needs across our mission areas while leveraging our data assets for the good of the enterprise. This role will work with researchers, educators, clinicians, and administrative functions to integrate data driven informed decision making and ensure that the enterprise has appropriate access to tools and technology to drive adoption of analytics across the enterprise. Additionally, this role and associated team will have the responsibility to establish a culture of data and analytics across the enterprise and advance analytics literacy across all levels.
Responsible for leading the development of an enterprise-wide data strategy aligned with COMPANY’s institutional priorities. To achieve this goal, the CDO will need to develop strong collaborations with key executives and evangelize the use of data as an asset; increase analytical and data literacy; and provide leadership to drive adoption and integration efforts. Accountable for the proper architecting of data storage systems, integration of data from disparate systems and for enterprise data analysis capabilities. Provides data analysis as a valuable asset to help leaders discover insights and make better, data-driven decisions to advance our organization. Liaison between the enterprise and IT to leverage data to transform and develop competitive advantage.
Responsible for building the team necessary to deliver on these outcomes which may include bringing in new talent, developing talent from within and partnering with third parties to gain access to the necessary competencies in a cost effective manner. Providing both the vision and operational leadership to the COMPANY enterprise will be central to the success of this role.
Develops organizational policies and authorizes their implementation across the COMPANY Campus and Health System including all aspects of the COMPANY mission of care, discovery and education. Provides advice, guidance, and assistance to the senior leadership across the COMPANY enterprise. Responsible for the strategic planning, implementation and overall administration of data and analytics capabilities and business intelligence initiatives. Represents COMPANY in local and systemwide meetings and discussions. Recognized as a highly influential and visionary leader, providing leadership in the effective implementation of data and analytics solutions and in the establishment of analytics literacy at the COMPANY enterprise level. Makes final decisions for the organization and ensures achievement of objectives. Oversees and evolves an organization that will include direct and matrix reporting personnel in all areas of the COMPANY enterprise.
The final salary and offer components are subject to additional approvals based on UC policy.
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Finance, Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Engineering, Actuarial Sciences, Economic Sciences or related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a VP, SVP or Chief Data & Analytics position managing an analytics/informatics team.
- Requires expert knowledge of data and analytics and related areas of IT sufficient for strategic planning, technology assessment and direction.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build inter- organizational and intra-organizational relationships across complex organizational boundaries to support the analytics vision and mission
- Highly sophisticated critical thinking abilities and problem solving skills.
- Expert leadership / management skills, including abilities in persuasion / negotiation, mentoring.
- Change Management Skills: Balance of an analytical mindset and a high EQ (emotional quotient) to lead people and drive the change that is required to create this data-driven culture.
- Ability to motivate a diverse interdisciplinary and distributed team of technologists, data scientists, data engineers, researchers, and health sciences professionals to align towards a common goal
- Excellent verbal and written skills, including presentation to executive leaders and large, diverse audiences
- Proven experience leading an analytics team towards higher-level analytics maturity (e.g., HIMSS Analytics Level 6 or 7)
- Highly sophisticated quantitative and analytical skills and abilities.
- A keen understanding of the missions of health care and academic medicine
- Leader and visionary with the ability to translate and explain complex models and health care analytics to senior management, researchers, educators, physicians, staff, and potential partners. Strong ability to develop, articulate and socialize a vision for data and analytics in order to establish alignment across COMPANY.
- Innovative, forward thinker with a demonstrated competency in strategic thinking and leadership, as well as strong abilities in relationship management.
- Analytic Skills: Understands deeply how to manage, analyze, and synthesize data to deliver insights and knowledge to support organizational decisions.
- Strong mix of overall business understanding and strategy, with a foundation of technology; a good balance between an operational and strategic mindset.
- Proven experience improving the efficiency of an analytics function and its effect on organizational performance. Substantial leadership experience in an academic health system or large provider organization and has led or substantially participated in developing and implementing organizational strategy for analytics.
- Deep knowledge of using analytics in driving health/health care performance and leveraging predictive analytics. Strong understanding of mechanics of data structures, clinical predictive analytics, hospital operational analytics, research, and education.
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, or MBA or PhD in a health related-field preferred
- Experience in a leadership role working for a nationally recognized academic health system.