The Chief of Staff assists the Head of Design to ensure the design team is executing at its full potential and having impact against customer and business goals. You’ll ensure a high bar for quality by emphasizing a disciplined approach to the design craft, methods, and practices. You will be expected to address issues which span cross team, platform and business units to ensure efforts are coordinated against a unified customer experience in collaboration with senior UX designers. You’ll anticipate resourcing needs ensuring the right level of expertise is applied to the right problem at the right time. In the absence of the head of design, you’re able to provide direction to the team with confidence.
- Collaborate with design SVP in assessing and developing strategies for the team to be generative in their design approach while maintaining velocity.
- Support the design team in the development of a UX playbook which will ensure consistency in approach
- Act as a bridge between the Design team and the Engineering, Product Management, and Marketing teams by making sure interdependencies are understood and planned for “cross enterprise” initiatives
- Identify team needs with regard to process, tools, documentation, asset management, etc.
- Point out connections and reconcile possible collisions between different product offerings, features, and platforms.
- Collaborate closely with senior designers to define, document, and operationalize process and identity improvements
- Provide senior stakeholders with visibility and updates of current projects, resource use, team performance, and product/campaign health
- Implement or drive changes to make sure designers are working at optimum efficiency
- Collaborate with internal business partners throughout various departments
- Evaluate and implement new tools with designers, researchers, and cross-functional partners to solve for our growing need to collaborate globally
- Define and keep up-to-date documentation of how the Design team works as well as how to work with all disciplines of the team
- Onboard new contractors and FTEs into the team by providing them with the “how” we work specifically within our team
- 6+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: digital customer experience, digital product/program management, digital platforms, or digital consulting demonstrated through work or military experience
Other Desired Qualifications
- 3+ years of experience managing workflow and operations for design agencies, or design program management within large-scale operations
- Experience in the 4 phases of design: Discover, Define, Design, Build
- Experience working with both product and marketing design teams
- Basic understanding of qualitative and quantitative research best practices
- Thorough understanding of the creative development processes
- Experience managing the operations for a mid to large size UX design team
- Deep experience working with creative/design teams, understanding how to integrate process with creative minds
- Experience with agile development and methodologies
- Know online and mobile technologies and their impact on the feasibility of design solutions
- A driving passion for creating products that resonate on an emotional level with customers
- Ability to understand complex programs, scope and prioritize projects, define schedules
- Solve hairy problems and work with a high degree of initiative and autonomy
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time