Delivery Driver - Hourly Casual
*Hours:* Mornings, Afternoons and Weekend as needed
*Rate:* Starting at $21.15 per hour
The *Peninsula Library System (PLS)* is a cooperative library system of 35 physical library locations throughout San Mateo County, California. There is one central sorting and delivery location in San Mateo, and four trucks which deliver books and materials between the libraries. Sorting is done primarily through an Automatic Materials Handler (AMH) sorting mechanism but is also done manually.
Under the supervision of the Delivery Supervisor or Delivery Driver II, delivers books, audiovisual materials, interoffice mail, supplies, and equipment to various libraries and other facilities in San Mateo County.
This class is the first in the Delivery Driver series. The Delivery Driver I works under close supervision and performs more routine driving functions. It is distinguished from the Delivery Driver Il by the amount of driving and supervisory experience required. A Delivery Driver II works under general supervision and, within a framework of established procedures, is expected to perform a variety of complex operational duties with only occasional assistance and may provide lead direction to other delivery staff on a project or day-to-day basis.
As an hourly/casual employee, the Driver I may be scheduled from 0 to 24 hours per week, depending on need. In addition, this position may be eligible to also obtain shifts as a Sorter.
* Provides critical and time-sensitive service to PLS libraries.
* Primary customer service point of contact.
* Makes interlibrary loan between PLS libraries possible.
*Essential Duties and Responsibilities:*
* Loads, unloads, and drives to deliver books and other library materials, equipment, and supplies as well as cash and interoffice mail pouches to a variety of library sites and other locations within the Peninsula Library System service area along regularly scheduled routes in a safe and timely manner.
* Maintains delivery vehicles in good working condition: performs daily safety and fluid level inspections; refers maintenance and repair needs to supervisors; delivers vehicle to maintenance facilities for proper upkeep, maintenance and fuel; cleans vehicles as directed.
*Other Job Duties:*
* Makes other miscellaneous deliveries and pickups as requested.
* Reports accurately on delivery statistics analysis, interlibrary loan statistics, special projects, and vehicle fuel usage.
This job description is not a complete list of potential duties. Employees will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as assigned by their supervisor.
*Education and Requirements:*
* High school diploma preferred.
* Valid California driver s license in good standing (clean driving record)
* As a condition of employment, the employer will obtain a DMV driving record for the applicant upon consent.
* Minimum 2 years driving experience.
* 6 months customer service experience; 6 months driving heavy-duty cargo vehicle
* One-year experience heavy lifting of bulky materials, skillful use of hand truck, etc.
* Correct procedures of receiving and delivering bins, equipment and furniture
* Principles of customer service
* Safe driving skills for driving delivery vehicles
* Delivery of library materials, such as books and media
* Ability to navigate efficiently while driving; knowledge of County roads, streets and traffic
* Safe lifting/loading skills
* Values and principles of librarianship to enhance customer relations
*Skills and Abilities:*
* Ability to understand and follow verbal and written directions; work effectively in the absence of supervision; and maintain cooperative working relationships
* Safely operate and recognize service or maintenance needs for assigned delivery vehicles
* Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; maintain record of delivery statistics
* Ability to accurately identify product to ensure the correct product, in satisfactory condition, is located on the trailer/truck and unloaded at customer locations
* Or equivalent technical training, education and/or experience.
*Work Environment and Physical Demands:*
* Safely operate a delivery vehicle for up to 8 hours a day.
* Bending, lifting, stretching, use of hand truck, twisting, and squatting with occasional strenuous effort, such as bending to lift and carry 30-75 lbs., sometimes carrying the load while walking from vehicle parking area to the delivery location over uneven terrain.
* Special safety precautions when working around moving parts, carts, or machines; may require working in adverse weather conditions.
* Must be able to collaboratively as appropriate, push hand trucks or carts with loads of up to 200 lbs. and to carefully, properly and safely load and unload materials.
* Retirement: Defined Contribution pension plan with 7.5% contribution paid by employer.
* Other Benefits: Sick leave.
* Ongoing recruitment.