The Director, Software Engineering will provide leadership in the development of new web and cloud technologies to support an agile digital business. They will define enterprise web and cloud strategies, grow capabilities, and develops the team by providing technology vision and leadership, career development, and mentoring in design, framework and platform decisions. In addition, the Director will define and communicate delivery plans, manage team budgets, and partners with leaders in key business and IT groups to deliver value through efficient use of development resources.
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- Proven finance transformation leadership and delivery specifically in financial services.
- Experience working in highly complex environments
- Proven ability working with senior level stakeholders and can prove instant credibility within a large scale finance team.
- Experience in Finance Data transformations and understand the technologies and vendors that can help support such a transformation.
- Responsible for partnering with the business to drive long term strategic value through investments in technology and process change specifically in Finance.
- Partner with respective business / functional heads to deliver technology solutions that are fit for purpose, strategic in nature and enable the overall business strategy.
- Deep subject matter expertise (both business and IT) essential in Finance Technologies
- Experience driving innovation in Finance Technologies
- Credible experience of complex change delivery (both waterfall and agile)
- Proven experience of working with, managing and delivering through third party suppliers
What You Will Do:
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to the development teams to deliver quality solutions utilized by multiple lines of business. Continue to drive the team toward delivery of the best end to end design solutions for the enterprise.
- Interact with executive management to develop strategic direction for the department and functional areas.
- Partner with senior leadership and stakeholders at all levels of the organization. Provide clear direction by translating strategic priorities and goals into defined tactical action plans and milestones. Work with cross functional leaders to understand and influence business strategy, set priorities, and define technology goals.
- Act as a strategist and champion for enterprise architecture and design principles.
- Lead white board discussions and presentations with key stakeholders, executive leadership, and enterprise architecture team.
- Identify opportunities to utilize third-party software development frameworks, open source libraries, and APIs in agile, and speed to market focused development for business partners.
- Ensure high quality service is achieved by providing oversight, monitoring key performance indicators, internal controls, and keeping abreast of market events and industry changes. Bring a passion to stay on top of technical trends, experiment with new technologies, and participate in internal and external technology communities.
- Act quickly and appropriately to solve problems, bring clarity, and minimize the impact of unforeseen circumstances.
- Drive a culture of change and innovation which constructively challenges the status quo and leads to prudent experimentation. Have a growth mindset with the ability to adopt new practices and spearhead adoption.
- Oversee the quality, delivery, performance, cost, and scope for cloud and web development initiatives.
- Develop staff through coaching, provide timely performance feedback and assessments and establish performance and development plans. Mentor current and future leaders, ensuring a constantly rising bar in technical excellence and professional growth.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, math, engineering, or other technical field, or equivalent experience
- Ten years of experience with database design techniques/philosophies, modern distributed applications, and microservices
- Eight years of experience in delivery of large-scale design projects involving interaction with a broad spectrum of enterprise operational functions
- Six years of experience managing a diverse team and leading cross-functional teams.
- Strong background in the execution of DevOps methodologies and continuous integration/continuous deliver, and accomplishments in architecture and strategy.
- Experience managing vendor relationships, including product/service evaluation, contract negotiations, and on-going relationship management
- Familiarity with modern UI development frameworks (e.g. Angular, React, Vue.js) and web technologies (e.g. HTTP, HTML, JS, CSS)
- Results oriented with a strong customer focus
- Strong communication skills to delivery highly relevant and effective information to the Board, executives, and employees.
- Ability to synthesize ambiguous and complex information in a way the leads to substantive actionable outcomes.
- Proactive mindset to drive change, question assumptions and push for innovation solutions.
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Technical communication skills and the ability to present information to all levels of the organization
- Problem-solving and technical communication skills
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed environment and identify, define, and resolve organizational issues
- Creative analytical thinker
- Ability to prioritize workload to meet tight deadlines