The WCIRB is California’s trusted partner in Workers’ Compensation Insurance, leading the way in objective research, data science and education. The WCIRB is a California unincorporated, private, nonprofit association comprised of all companies licensed to transact workers' compensation insurance in California and has over 400 member companies. No state money is used to fund its operations. The operations of the WCIRB are funded primarily by membership fees and assessments. Through our products and services, we are shaping the future of the Workers’ Compensation industry. Our core values of collaboration, innovation and integrity guide us in setting industry standards by developing cutting-edge technology and services for our valued customers.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for developing and implementing the long-term marketing & communication vision for WCIRB’s brand, including actively promoting its unique position in the California workers’ compensation system in support of member insurance companies, agents and brokers, employers, injured workers and the regulatory agencies. Responsibilities include planning, developing and implementing all WCIRB marketing strategies and marketing communications to both external and internal audiences. Oversees the development and implementation of the company’s web presence, social media, business presentations and product support materials and services. Directs the efforts of the marketing and communications staff and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with other functions within the company.
The Director establishes measurable and meaningful operating objectives, initiates, builds and maintains relationships across the WCIRB stakeholder community and develops and implements quantitative and qualitative methods to identify opportunities to improve the WCIRB customer’s overall experience and the WCIRB’s brand value. The Director effectively collaborates across the WCIRB enterprise to enable and support an integrated customer experience, including the identification, implementation and promotion of new and enhanced WCIRB products and services that achieve broad customer reach and add significant customer value in support of the WCIRB’s brand.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the WCIRB’s marketing and communications team and administers the ‘Voice of the Customer’ program to achieve valued and cost-effective customer interactions.
- Leads the formulation and implementation of a multi-channel marketing and communications strategy and execution roadmap.
- Influences organizational-wide alignment by promoting greater value to customers and works cross functionally with WCIRB leaders to deliver on the WCIRB’s Mission.
- Closely collaborates with other WCIRB teams to identify, prioritize and communicate new value-added products and services in response to evolving customer needs.
- Generates initiatives and proposals to illuminate customer value-enabling opportunities using research, insight and relevant business information.
- Establishes metrics for defining relationships with customers and measuring improvements in customer value.
- Works directly with WCIRB colleagues and customers to assess demand for new and enhanced products and services, identify core business cases, present new or enhanced product concepts to focus groups, and enable successful product rollouts in support of high adoption rates.
- Works with external organizations to develop mutually beneficial partnership relationships.
- Develops and maintains the WCIRB’s brand image and standards in partnership with legal guidelines/requirements.
- Enhances the WCIRB’s online presence, including website, social media platforms and presentation/webinar programs to meet the expanding and evolving needs of all stakeholders.
- Ensures that the tone of communications across all customer channels is consistent, relevant, brand enhancing and engaging to the audience.
- Stays abreast of marketing and communication best practices and industry trends through active learning and collaborations.
The individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility to perform this job successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities needed for the position. Reasonable accommodations, as required by ADA, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in marketing, marketing research or journalism.
- Minimum of 5 years successfully leading teams within Marketing, Communications or Customer Analytics functions.
- Demonstrated success as a creative thought leader and collaborator in the formulation and implementation of marketing strategy, product and service campaigns, and customer value measurement, preferably within the workers’ compensation or property and casualty insurance industry.
- Experience with CRM applications, social media platforms, professional and technical communications.
- Experience with database marketing/segmentation.
Leadership, Management and People Skills
- Proven success in creating and communicating a compelling marketing vision with department staff that engaged enterprise management and colleagues and resulted in greater company success and achieved increasing levels of customer value.
- Track record of building diverse and collaborative business relationships through strong oral, written and interpersonal communications across all levels of company and stakeholder constituencies.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a deep understanding of customers’ strategic business needs and critical success factors, utilizing inquiry and analytic techniques.
- Excellent project management, business planning and budgeting skills.
- Proven ability to successfully lead and develop creative teams by providing positive, values-based leadership and coaching to staff.
- Skilled at adapting communication style as appropriate and can receive constructive feedback well.
- Is a hands-on leader and contributor with a positive, open-minded attitude that thrives in a collaborative and collegial culture.
- Is able to focus on their projects and initiatives. While keeps aware of what team members are working on and collaborates as needed, trusts team with autonomy and is not unnecessarily a micromanager.
- Regularly seeks input from the team on the strategic direction and vision of the products and services they support.
- Identifies KPIs for the team, supports development of their skills and promotes an environment where employee autonomy is encouraged.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid Driver’s License
The physical demands described in this section are to be representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform successfully the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations, as required by ADA, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Job requires both sitting at a workstation (70%) and moving about the office (30%).
- Travel required.
- Must be able to travel by car to attend meetings and give presentations periodically.
- Significant amount of time spent at a PC using keyboard and/or mouse.
The work environment characteristics described in this section are to be representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations, as required by ADA, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent situations encountered which require patience, courtesy and decision-making on a constant and consistent basis.
- Frequent interaction with internal and external customers.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plans (401k with match, pension)
- Life and disability insurance