Borrego is seeking an Electrical Engineer I or II to join our growing team! In this role, you will actively collaborate with a team of design engineers and project managers to design, review and approve electrical engineering scope of work for utility solar PV and battery energy storage projects, ranging in size from ranging in size from 5MW to 100s of MW. The Electrical Engineer will provide technical oversight and expertise during design and construction of projects, including the design and implementation of protection and controls schemes for the systems. The electrical engineer will also be asked to support commissioning of systems as they come online. We offer a hybrid work environment, allowing you to work remotely 2-3 days a week and from the office 2-3 days a week.
At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, safety, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” and growth happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of large-scale solar and energy storage in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the Borrego System of Excellence, an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
About the Role
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review development plan set and CD IFR with little oversight by Senior Electrical Engineer Review should ensure the electrical portion of PV and storage systems comply with manufacturer, client, state electrical code and utility interconnection requirements
- Perform site visit inspections at predetermined milestones to promote quality and safety
- Create Construction Control Documents, review submittals, respond to simple RFI\u0027s with little oversight by Senior Electrical Engineer
- Assist Electrical Engineering team in continuous improvement initiatives
- Assist and support Preconstruction and construction teams
- Commission and troubleshoot PV systems
- Develop project-specific calculations and system modeling to verify or determine conductor sizing, short-circuit analysis, arc flash hazard, overcurrent coordination, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
While no one individual will possess them all, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
Required Skills and Experience:
- 0-5+ years of PV experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- PE certification preferred. EIT with a path to PE certification will also be considered
- Strong NEC & NESC knowledge and exhibited experience in building electrical systems and design, including sizing and specifying electrical service equipment, transformers, metering equipment, protective relaying, overcurrent devices, cable, conduit, switchboards, and panel boards preferred
- Experience with performing load calculations, short-circuit, and coordination studies. SKM (or similar) software proficiency is preferred
- Demonstrated experience with utility networks and an ability to act as the main technical contact to utilities for interconnection approval of parallel generation systems is preferred
- Experience in SCADA and protection system design is preferred
- Experience in medium voltage system design is preferred
- Excitement about growing along with a fast-paced, dynamic company; comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to build, experiment, and iterate when the path forward is undefined
- A passion for renewable energy, addressing the climate crisis, and accelerating the clean energy transformation
- Ability to work independently and effectively with project managers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as product vendors and manufacturing partners
- Must be confident and possess the ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts
- Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and lead meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third-party consultants
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; a comprehensive wellness program; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters collaboration, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity and creating an inclusive environment not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego\u0027s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.