Established in 2002, the mission of Envision Education is to transform the lives of students – especially those who will be the first in their families to attend college – by preparing them for success in college, career, and in life. Envision is aiming for the moon: We are committed to changing how American schooling defines and measures success, not only for the students in our school network but for all public school students in the country. 99% of our graduates are accepted to college and 75% of those are the first in their family to attend college. Envision is set apart from other school networks by three key features: our Portfolio Defense assessment system; our instructional and cultural vision rooted in an anti-racist and pro-Black framework; and our commitment to sharing our learning and improving public schools everywhere.
With sites in Oakland, Hayward, and San Francisco, Envision is seeking an experienced organizational leader, who is also a strong generalist, capacity builder, team leader, and lead learner. This leader will be an integral member of the Senior Leadership Team establishing Envision Schools as an exemplar network of equity and excellence for our students and for Envision Learning Partners. The Chief of Staff (COS) will lead the vision, strategy, management and oversight of the Development & Communications team in addition to developing and managing Organizational Strategy for key areas of impact identified by the CEO and leadership team. The COS partners with the CEO to fundraise $2.3M+ in institutional and individual giving annually, ensuring Envision’s continued ability to innovate in service of students in its schools and across the country. The successful candidate has a high attention to detail, can execute and learn quickly, has a practice of reflecting on and analyzing themself and systems for anti-racist behaviors and practices, has a systems-orientation and a deep belief in the ability of people to grow and collectively create change.
Reporting directly to the CEO, who serves on the organization’s Senior Leadership Team, and manages their own team within Envision, key responsibilities of the CoS will include:
Development and Communications:
- Leads development of fundraising and marketing/communications strategies that drive to achieve Envision’s strategic plan
- Sets vision for how the organization represents itself and builds relationships with external stakeholders and supporters
- Aligns pursuit of external resources with programmatic needs, communicating compellingly about a diverse array of programs
- Sets high expectations for team to secure $2.3M+ annually in fundraising through relationship-building, grant-writing, and individual giving campaigns and events
- Positions CEO and Board to engage with prospective and current funders to successfully build long-term relationships
- Ensures organization is positioned competitively within the education landscape
- Sets high expectations for the quality and persuasiveness of communications, and creates brand image that effectively and compellingly represents the organization
- Delivers compelling oral and written communication to variety of audiences
- Supports leadership team in communication with key stakeholders during times of crisis
- Drive strategy of all internal and external communications including memos, emails, newsletters, reports, presentations, speeches
- Use data and research to inform funders and stakeholders
Organizational Alignment & Strategy:
- Creates organizational culture that consistently focuses on improving individual, team, and organization-wide performance
- Supports CEO and SLT with critical, cross-team projects
- Collaborates with the CEO, the SLT, and the Board to establish and accomplish organizational goals, objectives and strategic plans, aligning resources against areas of highest impact, exploring growth opportunities and identifying key risks and success factors
- Builds organizational anti-racist leadership, both in terms of mirror (self-reflection) and window (systems redesign) work, aligned to Equity in the Center’s Awake to Woke to Work framework
- Researches, performs benchmarking, and analyzes data to inform leadership team decision making.
- Develops and cultivates partnerships with educational organizations, district and non-profit partners, and funders
- Leads organization through conflict, facilitating resolutions that protect the organization’s interests and prioritize student needs; fosters culture of optimism and perseverance in the face of challenge
- Proactively identifies and acknowledges mistakes made (individually and throughout organization) and reflects meaningfully on causes, using them as a learning experience for self and the organization
The ideal Chief of Staff candidate will be/have:
- Commitment and proven track record of leadership towards the mission of Envision Education
- Commitment and proven track record of leadership towards building anti-racist and pro-Black systems
- 5+ years as a successful organizational leader or manager
- A Master’s in education, business or a related field, or comparable management-level experience
- A healthy blend of strategic, team, operational and equity leadership
- A drive to achieve great results on behalf of students, especially those furthest from opportunity
- A successful track record leading effective teams and individuals, managing organizational change and initiating key innovations
- An ability to connect with a diverse group of people and build strong relationships grounded in listening and high levels of support and challenge
- Experience and comfort with giving and receiving both positive and constructive feedback and track record of taking action and adapting processes based on the feedback
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to convey complex information to a variety of audiences (e.g., whole org, senior leadership team meetings, public board meetings, memos)
- A strong analytic, performance management, accountability, and systems-thinking orientation necessary to inform strategy development and execution
- Strong organizational and project management skills; ability to prepare, review and analyze data
- Experience in addressing analytical and strategic issues across the organization; makes decisions that drive best outcomes for students
- Proven track record of leading change efforts and recruiting sponsors from relevant stakeholder groups, successfully persuading internal and external stakeholders to support our goals and achieve student outcomes
- Has led and managed complex education organizations to achieve results
The starting salary range for this position is $160,725 - 180,673. Salary and benefits are competitive and based on experience.
For additional questions about this position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Dyan Sellers at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
Envision Education is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. Recruiting staff to create an inclusive organization is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds. Candidates are evaluated solely on their qualifications to perform the work required.