WE ARE LOOKING FOR A GENERAL COUNSEL- minimum 5 years experience
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- D. degree from an accredited law school.
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in corporate law, nonprofit law, and/or real estate law.
General Counsel provides legal services and support to many functional areas of the organization and serves as the lead contact for all legal matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
General Counsel will be involved in various areas of law. Responsibilities may vary based on need and can include corporate compliance, nonprofit compliance and structure, real estate, affordable housing, employment law, insurance, and other areas.
Provide legal advice to leadership and staff:
- Provides guidance and analysis of legal issues to support the work of colleagues and teams.
- Provides expert and easy to understand technical advice and/or interprets legal advice provided by outside counsel to staff members on legal issues relating to acquisitions, development, corporate matters, finance, employment, property management and property ownership
- Champions compliance with various regulatory frameworks and applicable laws; work with others throughout the company to support compliance activities.
- Acts as a liaison between outside counsel and staff, as requested.
- Develops legal related policies and procedures and recommends operational changes for implementation by management and staff. Participate in development of corporate policies and procedures and consider their legal implications
- Reviews various and sundry legal documents including contracts, memorandum of understanding, development agreements, etc. to ensure that the company is reflected and resources are adequately protected.
- Advises leadership on structuring and managing the companies internal legal function including staffing and interdepartmental collaboration.
Corporate Governance, Corporate Compliance, Contract Management
- Ensures that all corporate organizational documents are appropriately maintained and updated to ensure compliance and minimize risk to the company. Propose and coordinate adjustments to corporate organizational documents as needed or as directed by the Board, including adding and dissolving legal entities, and amending corporate formation documents.
- Ensures that all Board and Committee meetings and processes are conducted according to corporate documents and State requirements
- Assists with drafting of Board and Committee resolutions needed to conduct Eden's and related entities work
- Manages contract drafting and review, including the creation of suitable, custom Eden contract templates to be used in Development, Facilities, Property Management and other departments.
- Reviews and approves any substantive deviations from contract templates.
- Assists the CFO in developing and maintaining standard minimum insurance requirements for vendors; reviews requests for deviation from the requirements.
- Assists the Finance department in negotiating, managing and administering the insurance portfolios of the company and affiliates
- Assists with drafting and review of commercial leases, purchase and sale agreements, and professional services contracts
- Creates, reviews, negotiates and prepares other legal documents and correspondence as requested to achieve organizational goals
Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
- Champions the evolution and implementation of Enterprise Risk Management, which is focused on taking a holistic approach to risk and ensuring risk-aware decision making. Advises CFO on ERM structure, processes, training and staffing needs.
- Takes the lead on development and presentation of risk management related frameworks, policies, processes and procedures.
- Designs and supports the mentoring and training of staff members on issues related to legal risk and Enterprise Risk Management.
- Helps form and supports the work of Eden's internal staff risk committee; serves on the committee, including chairing meetings as needed.
Litigation Coordination and Support
- Provides pre-litigation and pre-claim advice to minimize liability exposures and litigation costs.
- Receives and investigates legal issues, inquiries and complaints and make recommendations to resolve the same. Assign primary responsibility to resolve the issues to responsible business functions.
- Represents the company, or oversees outside counsel's legal representation of the organization in judicial matters before courts or regulatory agencies.
Directly supervises one or more employees in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
PREFERRED SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
- Real estate ownership, investment and finance, preferably with significant exposure to the area of affordable housing
- ERM or risk management experience, including problem-solving around critical risks facing an organization.
- Structuring, negotiating and bringing acquisitions, restructurings and financing transactions to closure
- Management of litigation relating to ownership and operations
- Knowledge of federal and state requirements applicable to 501c3 corporations, including relevant reporting requirements, governance matters, and constraints and protections applicable to nonprofits
- Regulatory issues related to the affordable housing industry
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize and manage many activities and demands occurring simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proven ability to work with diverse groups in cooperative problem-solving and consensus building.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
California Real Estate Broker's license desirable but not required.
Valid California Driver's License and insurance required.
Very competative salary offered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, age, color, sex (including pregnancy), religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable laws or regulations.
GPAC (Growing People and Companies) is an award-winning search firm specializing in placing quality professionals within multiple industries across the United States for the past 31 years. We are extremely competitive, client-focused and realize that our value is in our ability to deliver the right solutions at the right time.