The Head of Technology – Biosamples, is a member of the Biosamples Leadership team, and is responsible for driving the creation and implementation of a Biosamples wide technology strategy that supports delivery of innovative clinical development and ensures it is aligned and synergistic across business Units. The post holder is responsible for driving a holistic approach to technology implementation across Biosamples, coordinating review of existing technologies and planning for future technologies to be used in Biosamples management. You will identify, evaluate, source and implement new digital technology opportunities to improve productivity and engagement across clinical studies and biobanking activities, whilst remaining compliant to all relevant legislation. In this role, you will survey the competitor and external partner landscape to identify new opportunities/industry trends for innovative approaches, which could be adopted/embedded in Biosamples.
Typical Accountabilities, what you will be doing:
- The role holder will possess a blend of domain experience, business engagement skills and computational skills to support the move to new digital platforms and automation.
- Lead to the development of new processes and deployment of automation technologies.
- Lead the validation and assessment of technologies that can transform end to end Biosamples processes
- Communicate the value and potential derived from the application of Biosample Data and processes to R&D stakeholders & consumers (Story Telling)
- Preparation and manipulation of Biosample data (internal, external, structured, unstructured) in order to make business decisions.
- Developing, maintaining and applying ongoing knowledge and awareness in trends, best practice and innovation in Biosample data / technologies
- Search and evaluate novel clinical trial technology to understand the framework which Biosamples will need to operate in
- Liaise with key stakeholders across the business to understand the technology needs across clinical development, therapeutic portfolios and within studies and work with stakeholders to develop solutions
- Working closely with other areas across the to ensure strategy and planning for digital technology is aligned, synergistic and where required, scalable
- Liaise with external vendors and develop long term strategic relationships
- Build relevant business cases for incorporation of key technology – create and manage an innovation and technology budget where appropriate, oversee and approve plans for projects / programmes, including activities, resources, costs, roles, responsibilities, quality and return on investment data
- Manage relationships with senior business stakeholders to ensure the effective capturing of business requirements and commitment to project/program objectives. Responsible for steering stakeholder meetings.
- Build cohesive cross-functional project delivery teams and provide the leadership necessary to maximise the team’s success.
- Ensure/develop service transition plans including controlled hand-over into support roll-over into BAU maintenance, working with the head alliances and technologies for BAU requirements.
- Ensure expected benefits realization is consistent with project deliverables and clearly understood by stakeholders and project team.
- Oversee implementation of complimentary and supporting change management programs with the head alliances and technologies.
- Ensuring capability best practice and ways of working (Automation) of Biosample Data and ensuring teams are compliant to AZ Data guidelines and regulations
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- University degree in technology related discipline, or biological sciences with extensive experience in the field of Clinical Technology
- Deep understanding of digital technology, its application, and the external environment with respect to new developing technologies
- Experience in leading change programs and championing more efficient and effective methods / processes
- Experience in planning, implementation and maintenance of digital technologies
- Strong leadership skills, communication, collaboration and influencing skills
- Customer focus - dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers
- Ability to manage multiple deliverables
- Excellent team working and networking skills with experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise.
- Willingness to take decisions and find solutions
- Fluent in English
- Understanding of GCP
- Experience in the drug development process
- Experience of working with and delivering through strategic partners and 3rd party vendors
- Experience in a similar role