Are you ready to grow your dream career while making others' vacation dreams come true? Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a world premier organization for Vacation Ownership with resorts at destinations around the globe. Join our team and help deliver unforgettable experiences that make vacation dreams come true.
**Relocation Assistance Available**
As a member of the professional staff, contributes specialized knowledge and skill in a discipline (e.g. Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Operations Planning & Support, Sales & Marketing) area to support team and/or department business objectives. Generally works under limited supervision, but within established guidelines, producing and analyzing more complex business information to assist in the decision-making process.
Specific Job Summary
The Human Resources Manager will report directly to the Senior/Director of Human Resources and is responsible for managing, assessing, and reviewing all human resources activities including: compensation, work environment, associate relations, unemployment, worker’s compensation, compliance and interpretation of site and company Human Resources policies and procedures. The incumbent contributes a high level of HR generalist knowledge with specialization in Associate Relations. This position will assist site managers in the preparation and execution of investigations and hearings, as well as consult with the other regional HR staff on worker’s compensation issues. The incumbent will generally work with considerable independence ensuring Work Environment programs and processes are effectively implemented to accomplish objectives in alignment with broader business objectives and strategies.
- Performs more complex quantitative and qualitative analysis for business processes and/or projects. Often manages small projects, business processes or parts of larger ones.
- Responds to, solves and makes decisions on more complex/non-routine business requests with limited to moderate risk.
- Responsible for own work and contributing to team, department and/or business results. May direct work of non-management staff.
- Assists more senior associates in achieving business results by:
o identifying opportunities to enhance the effectiveness of business processes.
o providing training and technical guidance to less senior staff, where appropriate, and serving as point-of-contact for problem resolution.
o participating in setting department operating plans. o recognizing and celebrating team successes.
o achieving results against budget within scope of responsibility.
- Demonstrates an awareness of personal strengths and areas for improvement and acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Performs other duties as appropriate.
Specific Expected Contributions
Strategic Human Resources
- Provides liaison and consulting services to all levels of management and associates, interpreting and defining Division and Human Resources policies and procedures to ensure/enforce compliance.
- Develops, plans, and carries out all local policies and procedures relating to all phases of Human Resources.
- Analyzes and reviews statistical data and reports to identify and determine causes of turnover and retention within the workforce, and develops recommendations/improvements to management, as well as improvements to employment policies, processes and practices.
- Assists site leadership in the planned development and reinforcement of organizational strategies, structure and processes.
- Works with site management to identify current and future weaknesses and strengths; problems and concerns; job satisfaction and productivity.
- Works with all levels of management on-site to ensure organizational competence and performance management.
- Manages and administers compensation programs within and as established by Compensation COE. Will consult with Compensation COE and Director of HR accordingly.
- Advises and recommends to all levels of management appropriate compensation actions/adjustments to attract, retain and motivate employees.
- Partners with Director of HR and Compensation COE on non-management pay administration guidelines, including annual performance/merit increase guidelines.
- Partners with Director of HR and Compensation COE on issues relating to wage parity/analysis.
- Manages & maintains positive associate relations.
- Monitors work environment for any signs of potential union organization.
- Liaise with the Director of Human Resources, and where needed, COE Work Environment manager to ensure that consistent treatment is being afforded to all associates.
- Participate in and support Positive Work Environment (PAR) training, labor/employee relations-related interventions (focus groups, feedback sessions, etc.), Guarantee of Fair Treatment/Arbitration in collaboration with the COE Work Environment Team to come to a satisfactory resolution.
- Responsible for documentation and disciplinary action training for line managers.
- Coach and advise management on Work Environment issues.
- Key escalation point for associate relation issues and may substitute for Director Human Resources. (e.g., progressive discipline issues)
- Participate in resolution of serious grievances surfaced by any site.
- Ensure that disciplinary procedures are consistently and appropriately administered on site.
- Ensure and guide communication of site rules and regulations, the progressive discipline policy, Associate Resource Line, Business Integrity Line and the Guarantee of Fair Treatment.
- Partners with site management and Director of HR in development of policies that may result in disciplinary procedures.
- Assist Director of Human Resources in research and preparation of employment lawsuits for corporate and outside counsel.
- Coordinate responses to subpoenas as directed by corporate counsel
- Provides liaison and consulting services to all levels of management and associates interpreting and defining established policies and procedures.
- Consults and reviews grievances processed through various grievance programs, and handles investigations and analyses required to prepare company answers and resolutions to such grievances.
- Handles all legal tasks regarding terminations, annulments.
- The HRM should be proactive in all areas of Associate relations.
- The HRM will review Engagement Survey scores for all sites in market, provide analysis, and will schedule visits as needed to area sites addressing any improvement plans to mitigate issues being escalated through the Business Integrity Line/Guarantee of Fair Treatment lines.
- Where possible the HRM should be aware of any issues relating to Associate areas at any site which might impact associate well-being (e.g. the Associate break-room/the Associate entrance).
- The HRM is responsible for the on-site life cycle of the Engagement Survey and the associated action planning. In addition, they are responsible for overseeing the improvement of those sites and departments who fail to meet the minimum standards in any portion of the lifecycle and/or the associated metrics. Locations with Union Representation
- Interprets CBA and ensures site leadership is well educated on all CBA procedures.
- Adheres to guidelines as required under local CBA.
- Consults with Senior Director/Director on all Union matters.
- Act as key consultant with site Staff for workers’ compensation activities.
- Ensure sites have systems in place to record absences, time-off requests and shift turndowns.
- Discuss with site management appeal processes when applicable.
- Assist in preparing documentation for hearings, as necessary.
- Prepare and consult with site management representatives for attendance at hearings, and attend as necessary. Compliance
- Reviews adherence to the Federal Wage and Hour Law/Fair Labor Standards Act and other legal requirements.
- Ensures site compliance with all applicable MVW policies, procedures, and
- Remains current on government regulations and legislation in order to manage the associate relations program to ensure/enforce consistent and fair application and compliance of MVW and local regulations. Talent Acquisition
- Point of contact for Talent Acquisition COE and back up On Boarding Coordinator in the absence of HR Coordinator/Partner.
- Provides Talent Acquisition COE with staffing updates, assists in obtaining approvals for hiring exceptions, and provides COE with applicant eligibility and rehire status.
- Supports Director of HR in planning, coordinating and directing associate training programs. Facilitates day one orientation in the absence of HR Coordinator/Partner at the site.
- Provides task aids and training materials to site leaders and associates.
- Conducts impromptu one-on-one trainings as needed during site visits.
- Remains current with new labor legislation, court decisions and government regulations in order to keep abreast of legal developments.
- Maintains a good business relationship with all legal/government institutions.
- Performs any reasonable request as assigned.
- Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows: Generally a professional position with specific knowledge in a discipline (e.g., Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology). College degree and/or relevant experience typically required. Specific Candidate Profile (the education, experience, skills and attributes that are important for this position)
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or similar discipline or related experience.
- Two to four years of progressive HR Generalist experience.
- Experience in Vacation Ownership, Hospitality or Vacation Ownership Sales and Marketing preferred
- PHR or SHRM – CP certification preferred.
Skills & Attributes
- Proven ability to apply excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to collaborate and resolve issues and influence without position authority
- Proven ability to function as a team player who works with a high degree of independence and credibility, and professionalism.
- Proven ability to quickly build rapport and trust.
- Proven ability to provide strong coaching and influencing skills.
- Proven ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and integrity in dealing with sensitive information.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders in order to foster trust and influence key decisions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Analyzes and assesses situations to find effective solutions; creative problem solver; engages in fixing the problem; makes decisions using data.
- Ability to manage and administer a broad range of tasks including resolving complaints, counseling managers and employees on the interpretation of policies and procedures and concurrent complex tasks.
- Delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information, ensuring all deadlines are met.
- Possesses strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks developing and using systems to organize and keep track of information.
- Integrates and balances priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Ability to be an active learner enhancing professional and business growth through the acquisition of knowledge and experiences; proven ability to challenge organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of human resources management.
- Evaluates and remains current of business trends and HR trends to modify strategies.
- Ability to prepare written reports, correspondence, and presentations to site leaders as required.
- Experience building local community relations to enhance overall human resources business operations.
- Knowledge of information technology, including hardware and software applications, used in the Human Resources function.
- Bi-lingual language preferred depending on individual site needs.
- Demonstrated ability to seek out and implement process improvements.
- Achieves results with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates self-confidence, energy, and enthusiasm.
- Understands how to manage in a culturally diverse work environment.
- Ability to interact with all levels of associates and management.
- Manages time well and works in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, and stressful environment
- Controls group or inter-personal conflicts effectively.
- Ability to maintain physical condition and stamina appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include sitting for extended periods of time and operating assigned office equipment, and other duties as assigned.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Marriott Vacations Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.