Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Phillipines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
SUMMARY OF ROLE
SunPower is seeking a high-energy, hands-on HV/MV Electrical Engineer, a key role in our Commercial and Industrial Solutions team. This position is part of the SunPower Electrical Engineering team; whose accountability is to bring electrical engineering subject matter expertise to SunPower’s early and late-stage development projects. The HV/MV Engineer is responsible for supporting a cross-functional team during technical proposal development, technical due diligence, interconnection submission and approval, and scope-lock design for commercial solar and energy storage projects during the origination and development stages. The MV/HV Electrical Engineer functions as the primary technical subject matter expert for all projects under development. This includes the vetting of project specifications and requirements, providing technical support to the Origination team, creation and review of drawings, and review of cost estimates. In addition, the HV/MV Electrical Engineer will provide support for electrical escalations from downstream execution and project engineering teams.
The preferred location for this position is Richmond, California, however other locations may be considered.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Act as subject matter expert for the development engineering team, including design and interconnection, and provide technical support to Commercial Energy Services organization for solar and energy storage projects that connect at medium or high voltage
- Spec and scope communication and controls architecture for early-stage opportunities.
- Develop and maintain technical standards and tools to be used by internal and external engineering partners
- Review single-line documents and other electrical design documents.
- Perform and review calculations and modeling related to conductor and equipment sizing, short-circuit and arc-flash analysis, protection and overcurrent coordination, etc
- Develop and maintain relationships with AHJs, electrical utilities, and vendors to stay current on codes, standards, new technologies, jurisdictional/utility requirements, and industry best practices
- Support cost reduction initiatives and project estimation efforts while maintaining quality and compliance with national, local, and customer-specific requirements
- Mentor other team members to develop individual skills
- Demonstrate ethics and professionalism at all times
Minimum Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or other Engineering plus relevant experience related field; Master’s preferred
- Min 5 years experience (or equivalent) in:
- SCADA engineering and implementation
- the renewable energy electric industry
- renewable energy project development, including permitting, real estate, and interconnection, Bachelor's Degree in related field – Engineering, Construction or related field
- Working knowledge of relevant codes and standards, including National Electrical Code (NEC), National Electrical Safety Code (NESC), International Building Code (IBC), etc
- Fluency in MS Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- AutoCAD, other CAD software
Skills and Qualifications:
- Electrical PE Certification or path to certification a plus
- Project experience to include project development and permitting, conceptual and detailed design, project engineering, scheduling, cost estimating, procurement, and contracts
- Understanding of grid-tied photovoltaic systems and commercial energy storage technologies including: inverters, monitoring & communications, and energy management technologies
- Experience designing and building large scale PV and energy storage systems
- Experience in Off-grid or Micro-grid control systems desired
- Demonstrated experience with utility networks and an ability to interface as the main technical contact to utilities for interconnection approval, including witness testing and site commissioning
- Experience executing engineering services agreements
- Strong knowledge of SCADA and controls architecture, including component architecture to inform design decisions and cost estimating
- Experience with controls for ISO market participation and utility controls
- Inform preliminary scoping, cost and design of substations and MV/HV interconnection strategy.
- Strong knowledge and experience in electrical system design, including sizing and specifying electrical service equipment, transformers, metering equipment, protective relaying and/or overcurrent devices, cable, conduit, switchboards, panel boards, and SCADA and protective systems for low, medium and high voltage systems
- Knowledge of electrical principles including ohm's law, 3-phase power, voltage drop, power factor, electrical fault type, effecting grounding, transformer theory, and grid integration
- Demonstrated ability to interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups of all levels and competencies
- Proven ability to adapt to change in a calm and measured manner
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
- Willingness to travel as required
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.