JOB TITLE: Kitchen Manager
REPORTS TO: General Manager/AGM or Manager on Duty, Corporate Operations and/or Culinary Leader
DIRECT REPORTS: Leads kitchen/culinary staff, under direction of Manager on Duty
LOCATIONS: San Jose, Palo Alto, Oakland
- Competitive wage in alignment with established compensation metrics for the position and comparable to market trends
- 5 Days Paid Vacation (40 hours) accrued by pay period during first year of employment. Available in year 2.
- Sick Leave (earned according to local/state/federal mandates by location)
- Medical Insurance (Paid 50% by the company after 60-day collaboration period)
- 100% Paid Dental Insurance
- 100% Paid Vision Insurance
- 100% Paid Off-The-Job Accident Insurance
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Commuter Benefits
- Maternity/Paternity Leave
- Discounted meals at all corporate-owned restaurants
KEY AREAS OF PERFORMANCE
- Culinary Excellence in Hospitality and Food Service, Execution of Culinary Standards
- Kitchen equipment and tools knowledge
- Recipe Guidelines, Cooking, Food Prep
- Special Events
- Maintenance/Cleanliness of Kitchen and Restaurant
- This position does have some supervisory requirements to Kitchen Staff.
- Position will be required to participate in restaurant operations (prolonged periods of standing, walking and/or assist with food production or service) during critical operational demands.
- The environment within the restaurant may be subject to extreme heat and wet, slippery floors, particularly in the food production area. Care must be exercised to wear appropriate attire such as skid resistant shoes.
The job description below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or tasks which may be required to be performed in this position. The company may amend, change, or modify the responsibilities and duties of this position to meet business needs as necessary.
This job description does not constitute a contract for employment and may be changed at the discretion of Company Leadership with or without notice.
Responsible for overall performance of Culinary Operations in the Restaurant. The Kitchen Manager is responsible for ensuring guest satisfaction through excellent food quality, preparation, and presentation. The Kitchen Manager will collaborate with the GM to ensure the complete satisfaction of guests at the restaurant as a result of the food being ordered, prepared and served within the restaurant standards. This position contributes to the planning, organization, and training necessary to achieve restaurant objectives in food production, guest satisfaction, increased sales, managed costs, employee retention, communication and awareness, food quality, and compliance.
This position consistently demonstrates, as well as notifies management to enforce, company policies, practices, and procedures.
Sales and Profits
- Assists in sales projections, expense budgets, and COG's
- Responsible for the control and management of food cost monitoring and food waste
- Helps to control expenses by being mindful of product use, waste, and inventory/ordering
- Identifies, evaluates and responds appropriately to labor efficiency problems with the GM
- Monitors employee schedules, and helps to hold staff accountable to appropriate in and out times, clocking in and out, and ensuring breaks are taken appropriately and according to law
Operations and Quality Standards
- Ensure the restaurant meets or exceed Operations and Quality Standards at all times including but not limited to proper temp logs, receiving logs of inventory, and food safety documentation
- Performs meetings with kitchen staff at the restaurant on a frequent basis to ensure all staff understands strengths and developmental opportunities as they relate to quality standards. Provides a summary of meetings to Corporate Leaders
- Assists the GM in completing and maintaining an accurate assessment report for the restaurant on an ongoing basis, including but not limited to labor reports, COG's, Food Quality, Guest Satisfaction, Revenue Analysis, Open Projects, etc.
- Implements action plans handed down from the GM to rectify negative assessments
- Ensures professional restaurant and consistent team image through rigid adherence to restaurant cleanliness, uniforms, and appearance standards
- Follows and enforces compliance with all brand and company standards, company policies and procedures
- Acts as onsite manager to provide coverage when necessary
- Liase with GM, AGM, and Bar Manager on all menu offerings/changes/pricing. This includes coordination with Events/Catering in producing and maintaining private and Catering events offerings
Franchise Operations Standards
- Must be fully certified in Franchise Training Standards/Franchise Training Program within 60 days of assuming this role.
- Must be able and willing to travel, as needed, both locally and nationally to assist in Franchise Training requirements.
- Support Franchise Training and New Restaurant Openings by ensuring excellence in the kitchen.
- Must be confident in understanding, using, and deploying the Playerlync Learning Management Platform
Hospitality, Culture, and Community Involvement
- Responds immediately to all customer issues to ensure guest satisfaction has been achieved
- Checks with all staff daily to monitor employee and guest satisfaction, interaction, and engagement for the restaurant.
- Monitors progress of other team members' ability to invoke positive change in the business
- Responsible for providing direction to the Staff with regards to achieving the standard that is established in the Company values
- Understands and is capable of telling the story of the restaurant - how it was started, what it means and how it relates to communities in which our restaurants are located
- Identifies opportunities for partnerships with local organizations and passes along to GM
- Promotes corporate citizenship and social responsibility
Recruiting and Retention
- Has some responsibility in staffing, training, retention and turnover for all kitchen staff
- Maintains staffing according to budgeted levels
- Helps to forecast all staffing needs with the GM and HR.
- Works collaboratively with the GM and HR to create and maintain plans for developing internal candidates for promotion
- Conducts interviews to assist with store level staffing
- Assists HR in all retention practices
- Conducts training with new staff, existing staff, Franchise Operators, and others on all products, processes, and procedures; assists in training on new products and refresher training as necessary
- Assists other certified trainers with staff in changes in company policy or procedures
- Aids staff in identifying potential problems and develop solutions
- Ensures proper training of Trainees and monitors effectiveness of designated training
- Must identify and develop one future leader each quarter by cross-training into a new and/or leadership capacity. Every 90-days, someone should be getting promoted within your restaurant.
- Develops managerial and leadership abilities of restaurant staff and within themselves
- Reinforces Company Core Values consistently
- Conducts meetings with restaurant management and staff team on a regular basis
- Assist HR and the GM to conduct performance development reviews on staff and collaborates with HR on the staff members individual development plans (IDP).
- Provides coaching and feedback on an on-going basis; develops coaching skills often
- Demonstrates positive workplace practices according to Company values
- Accurately and consistently documents performance appropriately
- Responsible for following the approved termination process as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Uses consistent practices in managing performance problems. Holds everyone accountable
- Conducts investigations as required for cash, harassment or any unfair employment practice claim. Requests assistance from GM and HR as needed for advice
- Identifies, evaluates and responds appropriately to labor efficiency problems
- Works with service and culinary management team to define potential issues/problems and assist the restaurant management team in building solutions
Policies and Procedures
- Ensures compliance on procedure outlined in all Company reference manuals
- Ensures compliance on company cash control, and safety and security policy
- Ensures accidents and incidents are reported to HR in a timely manner
- Monitors procedures for resolving Health Department violations promptly
- Helps to monitor employee files and timecard records in accordance with company policy
- Monitors compliance with all Equal Employment Opportunity and labor laws (state/federal)
- Ensures compliance with HR/Financial Audits
- Completes all timecard edits and completes DAILY logs of operational summaries. Scans all proper forms, including timecard edit forms to HR upon completion DAILY.
- Reviews all company generated reports with GM to ensure that proper control and performance is being maintained
- Researches and processes invoices in a timely manner using PlateIQ (All invoices MUST be in and approved by Wednesday weekly)
- Provides and maintains monthly calendars of events, meetings, and store requirements
- Processes Payroll information with the GM in a timely manner
- Checks e-mail and Glip 3 times per day and responds to ALL inquiries appropriately. Once at the beginning of your shift, once in the middle of your shift, and once prior to leaving.
Summary of Essential Responsibilities
- Actively participates and encourages Staff teams' involvement in Brand sponsored activities
- Willingly assists others without being asked
- Prepares and interprets financial and operational reports and schedules, analyzes data and develops solutions to ensure operating goals are achieved
- Achieves controllable profit and flow thru goals by overseeing all controllable costs and taking the appropriate corrective action to achieve the desired result
- Ensures timely implementation, training and ongoing execution of all company initiatives and marketing promotions
- Develops employees through training programs, individual development plans and assignments; provides coaching and constructive feedback to employees as needed
- Ensures all equipment and facilities are in compliance with Brand Standards and all government regulations and takes corrective action when required
- Attracts, hires, and retains the best talent to meet staffing requirements and guest service standards at each store in the region
- Proactively handles employee relations issues and deviations from Brand Standards; involves the Corporate Operations Leader and HR as appropriate to resolve issues
- Develops and executes the local store marketing plan to build relationships with civic, business, school, and professional organizations to drive sales and guest counts
- Monitors that proper security procedures are in place to protect employees, guests and company assets
- Enforces sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness and maintenance of kitchen, dining areas and restrooms
- Works to create and maintain an enjoyable and respectful environment for our guests and employees
- Maintains compliance with all employer's employment policies and Brand Standards to include all state, local and federal regulations
- Follows management cash handling, inventory and other operational procedures as outlined by company standard operating procedures
- Maintains & implements a strong commitment to guest satisfaction
- Completes all other tasks and duties as assigned.
- At least 1-3 years experience cooking and leading in a restaurant kitchen
- Demonstrated success in culinary excellence and food service hospitality
- Knowledge of OSHA and EEOC regulations, restaurant/food safety procedures
- Point of Sale (POS) knowledge/skills preferred
- Ability to successfully perform all job duties of the Line Cook/Prep Cook role
- Manager Food Safety/Food Handler certification required
- Strong organizational skills with excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with guests, staff, and management.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English language, Spanish speaking abilities preferred.
- Possesses basic math skill (add, subtract, multiply, divide)
- Places a value on diversity, community, and shows respect for others
- Proven ability to problem solve and handle high stress situations
- Must be prepared to multitask in accordance with the demands of the business
- Ability to identify and anticipate opportunities and implement corrective action steps
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings
- Spanish Speaker is a huge plus