Verge Genomics is a next-generation biopharmaceutical start-up using machine learning to accelerate development of life-saving treatments for neurodegenerative diseases. Our platform leverages human genetics and computational analysis of human brain tissues to identify new therapeutic gene targets, predict effective drugs, and stratify patient subpopulations for increased clinical success. Verge's approach offers a breakthrough opportunity to develop therapies that dramatically improve patient outcomes and fundamentally lower the cost curve of pharmaceutical development.
The Target Identification and Exploratory Biology department is seeking a creative and driven scientist to lead our efforts in developing state-of-the-art in vitro models representing neurodegenerative and psychiatric disorders, with an initial focus on ALS and Parkinson's disease. You will be growing a multi-disciplinary team and developing and implementing a strategy to generate complex human disease models using stem cell technology, organoids, 3D co-cultures and microfluidics.
You are experienced in using stem cell technology and CRISPR technology to generate different brain cell-types and engineer disease mutations, pathway reporters, and drug target constructs. You are experienced in proposing and utilizing a broad spectrum of analysis tools to profile quality, functionality and disease relevance of stem cell cultures and in vitro brain models (e.g., imaging, single cell RNAseq, spatial transcriptomics, proteomics technology). You and your team will benchmark the in vitro models by evaluating targets identified by Verge Genomics computational platform.
This position plays a central role in the Verge Genomics pipeline, intersecting with our target validation and drug discovery groups and managing CRO and academic collaborations.
buy Lyrica 300 mg online uk What You'll Do...
- Lead from the bench and guide a team of Research Associates in experiment design, execution, and analysis.
- Establish quality-controlled patient iPSC and fibroblast banks
- Differentiate neurons and other brain cell types
- Develop human brain disease models suitable for investigating target biology and drug discovery in ALS, Parkinson's Disease, FTD and other neurodegenerative diseases
- Execute cell-based, biochemical, and molecular biology assays and profiling of human brain tissues to validate cell and disease models.
- Engineering of disease mutations, cell-type and pathway reporters in cells using genomic technologies
- Serve as the domain expert in stem cell and disease modeling technology.
- Propose and execute new stem cell technologies and analysis capabilities
- Identify and manage external partners, academic institutions, CROs and consultants to support the goals of the Disease Modeling Core
- Work cross-functionally with computational biologists, target validation biologists drug discovery experts and chemists to make strategic recommendations.
- Represent the company at conferences and publish in peer-reviewed journals.
Melville Job & Technical Competencies Required:
- The Principal Scientist will have a PhD and 8+ years of combined postdoctoral and pharmaceutical industry experience.
- The Senior Scientist will have a PhD and 5+ years of postdoctoral experience
- Expertise in neurodegenerative or psychiatric disease biology and human genetics.
- Experience in managing laboratory scientists
- Generation, characterization and quality control of iPSC and fibroblasts from patients.
- Differentiation into multiple cell types from iPSC (e.g., dopamine neurons, cortical neurons microglia, astrocytes, oligodendrocytes).
- Engineering complex human disease models such as human co-cultures, microfluidic devices, or 3D cultures (organoids, spheroids, bioengineered tissues)
- Functional genomics approaches to study gene function (CRISPR, RNAi, lentivirus, etc.).
- Assay development experience: high content image analysis, MEA electrophysiology, gene expression, biochemistry, and molecular biology.
- Strategic, "systems-level," and "outside-the-box" mindset.
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days, on-site gym access, and free lunch.