Overview:The Safety & Security Manager manages the transportation safety management process and provides overall support and guidance to the local autonomous vehicle facility on matters of operational safety and employee security. The Manager coordinates with the Director of Safety & Compliance as well as Operations leadership in crafting short- and longer-term strategies in building a culture of safety within the Transdev Autonomous Vehicle Division (TAS).
The Safety & Security Manager introduces and oversees systems and activities to maintain oversight of facility and operational safety compliance requirements; provides safety and or security awareness training for management, and autonomous vehicle staff; coordinates and manages accident/incident management process; conducts audits and inspections of the transportation safety management process; helps manage and works as a liaison between vendor hired security staff and the location GM and or Facilities manager, monitors metrics and indices reflecting performance.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulations regarding transportation and workplace safety CA OSHA;
- Works with Transdev security vendors to assure contractual compliance and conformance to safety standards consistent with company expectations and local policy;
- Oversees and implements the elements of the accident/incident process including coordination of reporting, investigation, documentation, management and supervisor field training;
- Conducts frequent facility and driver spot checks throughout multiple TAS locations during the workday;
- Responsible for company and location safety initiatives, programs, campaigns, workplace signage and employee safety incentives to reduce workplace accidents;
- Review accident file contents for accuracy and documents needed, work with TAS compliance manager to essure documents are filed and organized correctly;
- Gatekeeper for accident preventable decisions and works with training to make remedial recommendation for drivers as needed;
- Assure proper accountability is delivered for preventable accidents;
- Provide comprehensive and accurate reporting containing appropriate metrics;
- Develop materials and conducts training for self-driving vehicle operators, managers and or location staff related to safety awareness, safety process changes, security best practices and de-escalation training;
- Ensure all active operators are trained on all safety policies and procedures;
- Conduct safety audits and inspections of the fleet, facility and operator workforce as needed;
- Capable of responding quickly to changing and potentially high-pressure environments;
- Provide concise, clear, and accurate verbal and written feedback regarding the vehicle's operations;
- Ensure compliance with Transdev's Autonomous Vehicle Division zero-tolerance policy regarding the use of alcohol or drugs by self-driving vehicle operators during a shift in coordination with the TAS Compliance Manager;
- Other duties as required
Qualifications:Education, Licensing, and Certifications Required:
- Must be 21 years old;
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred) in a related field like Transportation Safety Management, Security Management, Logistics or related field
- OSHA certifications a plus i.e. Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS or COSM)
- Current CPR, AED and First Aid certifications a plus
- Meets driver requirements, including driving record and criminal history under applicable regulations and laws in the state(s) in which the Safety & Training Manager will be working.
- Minimum of 5 years of transportation management and/or safety/security management experience. Additional experience is preferred;
- First Responder and or Public Safety Experience a plus
- Proficiency with a laptop computer and GSuite apps (i.e. Gmail, Hangouts, and Driver, including Sheets and Docs); and
- Proficiency with using a touchscreen smartphone (Android preferred by not required).
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Intermediate knowledge of logistics software;
- Working knowledge of performance management/monitoring systems;
- Working knowledge of federal and state safety laws, and OSHA standards;
- Ability to analyze and identify risk trends, problems and solutions;
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely using appropriate mediums (face-to-face or electronic communication), listen effectively, demonstrate understanding, and clarify meaning for others;
- Ability to analyze, define, diagnose, and resolve problems based on sound logic and rationale;
- Ability to develop, coach, and mentor others including the ability to provide development experiences, advise, and teach to prepare others for effective job performance;
- Ability to interact cooperatively and collaboratively with others as a team, including those holding opposing views and goals;
- Understand and apply meaningful operations and safety performance metrics;
- Ability to lead and influence;
- Ability to plan and execute events, safety meetings, accident review meetings, and safety celebrations;
- Develop and communicate informative presentations and strategies to gain understanding and consensus; and
- Posses working knowledge of OSHA standards and Transdev Safety Policies;
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals;
- Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance. Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays to support business needs;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced constantly evolving environment.
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Transdev reserves the right to revise this job description at any time.
Must submit to a drug test and background check
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting,
- Use hands, fingers; handle, or feel; and talk or hear; climb stairs and/or ladders.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Must use close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Most work is accomplished indoors and outdoors or well-ventilated facilities; and
- The employee is generally subjected to long periods spent sitting, typing, or looking at a computer screen.
Based near Chicago, Transdev is the largest private-sector operator of multiple modes of transit in North America, including bus, rail, streetcar, paratransit, and shuttle services. Transdev is committed to being the trusted partner of cities and transit authorities through quality execution and innovations in mobility. Its parent company, Transdev Group, is a leading global operator and integrator of mobility operating in 17 countries and provides passengers every day the freedom to connect to what they care about in their cities. www.transdevna.com
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions upon request.
Transdev is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or other legally protected status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster: www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm
Drug free workplace
If based in the United States, applicants must be eligible to work in US without restrictions for any employer at any time; be able to pass a drug screen and background check.