Requisition ID # 123010
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Engineering
The Senior Consulting level engineer job requires mastery of the Senior level engineer skills and duties. This position is responsible for strategy, engineering, operations, maintenance, and other technical, and implementation support for the transmission, substation, distribution, DER (Distributed Energy Resources) systems, and transmission and distribution line SCADA/Automation systems. This position handles highly complex problems and issues. The Senior Consulting Engineer is a recognized expert within their area of responsibility, identifies opportunities and brings in ideas to help improve company performance and applies extensive knowledge of concepts, principles, and practices to resolve complex problems with only general direction.
This position is represented by the Engineers & Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
Can perform the job duties of a Senior level engineer. As assigned, additional job duties include, for transmission, substation, distribution, and systems, including transmission and distribution line SCADA/Automation systems:
COMMON TO ALL
1. Identifies, analyzes, and improves existing business processes within assigned department to meet existing/new goals and objectives
2. Performs complex engineering analysis.
3. Conceives and investigates areas in which engineering precedents are not tested and contributes to new designs and techniques that are regarded as major advances in the company and/or industry.
4. May represent PG&E as an expert on professional society and/or industry association committees (e.g., IEEE, CIGRE, etc.).
ASSET STRATEGY AND IMPLEMENTATION
5. Ensures the system performance meets reliability targets.
6. Lead in implementation of projects involving inter-regional coordination.
Leads and/or acts as a company witness, liaison, or information provider to outside parties for project support or any other regulatory proceedings impacting PG&E business.
Resolves problems of complex scope. Assignments may require complex solutions. Works independently with limited feedback from management. Provides guidance and feedback to other engineers. Expected to apply creative solutions, techniques, and approaches to work assignments. Customarily and regularly uses discretion and independent judgment in fulfilling these job functions.
Assists and provides technical guidance to lower classification engineers and works with management. Externally, establishes and maintains good relations with counterparts and higher-level representatives in third party organizations, e.g., governmental, regulatory, business partner or community entities, using skilled negotiation, tact, and diplomacy. Internal contacts include project team members and company management across various departments. May have specialized technical expertise and provides information and training as appropriate in the assigned specialized area.
- A BS Degree in Civil or Electrical Engineering or other related Engineering degree as appropriate from an accredited university. For designated positions, a BSEE or BSCE only may be required.
- Current California PE license required for Senior Consulting Engineer. This may be waved based on qualifications.
- Mastery of the Associate, Journey, and Senior level engineer job duties and demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform the basic duties of the Senior Consulting/Advising Level Engineer. Meets specific technical requirements gained through a minimum of thirteen years of cumulative experience in engineering, planning and/or operations.
Demonstrates knowledge and abilities required for the Associate, Journey and Senior level Engineer and:
- Able to handle multiple large and complex projects without supervision and serve as team leader.
- Competency in developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization goals.
- Successfully negotiate cost effective solutions beneficial to our customers and PG&E.
- Complete complex assignments with few or no precedents or standards.
- Apply extensive knowledge of concepts, principles and practices in a specific field or area of expertise to resolve complex problems.
- Demonstrates strong technical and communications skills.
- Assesses business conditions, identifies opportunities, and develops programs from a multifunctional, cross-process perspective.
- Is recognized as an expert in their area of responsibility.
- Develops technical policies and procedures.
- Contributes significantly to the development of standards, specifications, guidelines, and other Utility guidance documents.
- Applies broad and extensive business understanding of technical issues and impacts the strategic direction and policies of the company.
- Provides high-level advice and expertise to upper management frequently and consistently.