WGU Labs (Labs) mission is to accelerate the pace of innovation in education to serve a changing global economy and population. Labs invents, builds, and enables innovative education products and offerings that multiply the effects of WGU’s mission to have a transformative impact on higher education: to expand access, improve quality, and optimize student outcomes.
WGU Labs operates a business accelerator for social impact-driven education startups. Labs provides company-specific services and capital to early-stage education companies whose products are both impactful and scalable. Labs services include research, business development, and product development. Leveraging a full-time team of expert learning experience designers, engineers, data scientists, artists, and writers WGU Labs develops learning applications leading to students’ educational attainment and life-long success. Through its partnership with Western Governors University, WGU Labs has access to thousands of students to engage in the development process to create solutions that solve real learner problems at WGU and beyond. ”
The Senior Consultant is a critical role at WGU Labs. The Senior Consultant is the primary relationship manager and facilitator of value for 5-7 WGU Labs clients. This position is fully accountable for the success of its client portfolio. This role leads all aspects of assigned client engagements. This position plans and oversees enterprise-level support and service activities to a designated client or group of clients. This role is responsible for developing strategic client relationships to include understanding and identification of product and service needs. This role acts as a single point of client contact to coordinate the resolution of service incidents and escalation of technical issues. The Senior Consultant collaborates with sales and support groups to demonstrate the value of support offerings to clients and identify opportunities for expanded business support.
The Senior Consultant will both oversee and create high quality, on-time, client deliverables. In doing so this position will strategically leverage WGU Labs talent (e.g., analysts, researchers, developers, learning experience designers, writers), including WGU Labs senior leadership. Based on the individual's deep education, business, and consulting experience, the Senior Consultant will also coach and support the development of WGU Labs colleagues.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Provides quality service and operational performance within the parameters of the project and delivery standards.
Ensures the appropriate support and service activities are provided for company products and services for clients of varying sizes.
- Supports the clients by acting as the voice of the customer, identifying product support, development needs, and communicating needs internally.
- Maintains long-term relationships with clients.
- Acts as a single point of client contact to coordinate resolution and escalation of issues and escalates when necessary.
- Responsible and accountable for the totality of the client relationship for assigned clients.
- Acts as a client advocate and provides strategic direction based on experience and trends and aligns the client's needs with internal solutions.
- Stays abreast of industry trends, regulations, and competitive products to strategically identify and target sales opportunities.
- Manages several aspects of the project management cycle.
- Implements creative strategies and works with SMEs and others to seek new client solutions where appropriate.
- Works to develop initiatives to improve efficiencies and levels of service.
- Provides coaching and leadership to WGU colleagues and stakeholders.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Deep experience and knowledge in the education industry at a senior leadership level.
- Ability to maintain and develop deep, trusting relationships with leaders in the education industry, who represent education institutions, companies, professional associations, media, non-profits, and funders.
- Ability to manage full-cycle project management with an emphasis on project execution, skills alignment, and scoping of projects effectively.
- Account/Client Management skills to include communication, influencing, company and customer expertise, negotiation skills and a value-based sales approach.,
- Capacity to effectively plan for resources including people, materials, and financial capital.
- Senior and Executive-Level presentation skills, presentation development, and exceptional speaking, facilitation, and the ability to moderate meetings, webinars, workshops, etc.
- Exemplary writing skills (published).
- Ability to coach peers and colleagues and provide leadership.
- Ability to report on performance to include collecting and disseminating project information, communicating project progress, utilization of resources, and forecasting future progress and status to various stakeholders.
Day-to-Day Areas of Focus:
30% Direct Client Engagement
60% Development of Client Deliverables
10% Internal Development and Collaboration
- 5+ years of professional experience in client-facing roles.
- 2+ years of professional experience working with and/or for an educational institution or education technology company.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field.
WGU Labs, Inc is an affiliated non-profit entity of 501c(3) Corporation of Western Governors University.
This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.