Requisition ID # 47567
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
This job is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
The Senior Consulting Engineer leads complex engineering projects, is a recognized expert within their area of responsibility, and applies extensive knowledge of concepts, principles, and practices to resolve complex problems with only general direction. Provides technical leadership and coaching. Researches and identifies practical solutions to highly complex problems. Identifies opportunities and brings in ideas to help improve company performance. Additional responsibilities beyond the senior Project Engineer include but are not limited to the following: develops programs in a multifunctional business process, and provides high-level advice and expertise to various PG&E lines of business.
May perform the functions of Associate, Journey and Senior level Engineer and in addition:
- Manage large highly complex projects and perform engineering analyses, studies, and develop conceptual designs.
- Develop innovative solutions to solve challenging technical issues.
- Acts as a lead in root cause analysis and makes recommendations to address local and system-wide problems.
- Acts as a company witness, liaison, and/or information provider to outside parties.
- Develops technical policies, procedures, and contributes to the development of standards, specifications, construction documents, and guidelines.
- Represents PG&E at external industry associations, committees, trade organizations and other inter-utility groups.
- Acts as an engineering mentor.
Scope: Resolves problems of very complex scope. Serves as a key technical resource within area of specialization. Regularly expected to apply creativity or new approaches to assignments that may be unique. May lead others on technically complex projects. Customarily and regularly uses discretion and independent judgment in fulfilling these job functions.
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US
- Current California PE license
- 13 years of cumulative experience in engineering and design
- Demonstrates knowledge and abilities required for the Associate, Journey and Senior level Engineer
- Able to handle multiple large and complex projects without supervision and serve as team leader
- Provide leadership, direction, and assistance to engineers and designers. Coach and develop engineers
- Successfully negotiate cost effective solutions beneficial to our customers and PG&E
- Complete complex assignments with few or no precedents or standards
- Apply extensive knowledge of concepts, principles and practices in a specific field or area of expertise to resolve complex problems