Fantastic role within a market leading renewable energy Project Finance team based in San Francisco. We are seeking an individual who will be part of our clients Commercial & Industrial Project Fiance team, which arranges complex financings for portfolios of commercial solar + storage projects.
The Project Finance group is responsible for interfacing with debt and equity investors in the solar space. This includes ownership of relationships and transactions with investment banks, private equity firms, lenders, and corporate investors. The team performs detailed financial analysis of financing options, and negotiates and manages transaction closings. Additionally, the team manages significant cross-functional communication across sales, development, accounting, asset management, tax, and other functions to optimize financing strategy.
The candidate should have experience with tax-incentivized finance structures, including leases and partnership arrangements, as well as experience with non-recourse financings. This role requires strong communication and analytical skills, experience leading and closing transactions, an understanding of relevant tax and GAAP regulations, contractual matters, and analytic models.
Familiarity with the energy industry and finance providers in this industry segment is preferred. This position reports to the Director of Project Finance, and closely coordinates efforts with business unit leaders, counsel, treasury, and other team members.
The Project Finance group is a lean team with a flat hierarchical structure, and the candidate must be willing to not only lead transactions and negotiations, but be highly involved in diligence, modeling, and all aspects of the deal closing process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
Working in a team environment, the Principal will:
- Support and lead the origination, analysis, structuring, documentation and execution of residential project finance transactions
- Interact with the sales team and customers to understand objectives and recognize challenges to be addressed in designing the project financing plan
- Supervise analysts in in-depth financial analysis to develop the appropriate financing strategy for a given situation; analysis includes evaluating different debt or equity providers, structured transactions vs. asset sales vs. leases, as well as assisting the sales team with pricing for end customers.
- Demonstrate comfort and prowess with project finance excel models.
- Maintain and develop strategic relationships with finance providers, particularly “tax-equity” investors – understand investor strengths and limitations.
- Work with in-house and external counsel to structure, negotiate, and close financing documentation.
- Participate in the effective solicitation of financing proposals from the marketplace and ensure a fair and comprehensive bidding process.
- Lead and be held accountable for successful transaction closings under tight deadlines.
- Communicate with other departments including Sales, Operations, Accounting, Tax, Asset Management, and O&M on transaction details as well as business planning and work processes.
- Provide consultative assistance and follow-up services on closed transactions as necessary.
- Assist business units with the development of new channels of business.
- Explore, recommend and lead improvements in work processes.
- Track renewable energy markets, be aware of potential impacts on financing strategies.
- Develop and implement improved financial structures.
RELATED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
A degree in finance, accounting, engineering or other relevant fields, with 4-6 years of experience in project finance, leasing or equipment finance is required.
A deep understanding of the following is expected:
- Tax-Equity investor and investment experience.
- Experience in equity and debt fundraising.
- Understanding and negotiation of PPA’s, leases and other project financing legal arrangements.
- Familiarity with solar financing structures including partnerships, leases and secured debt structures.
- Experience performing financial modeling and the understanding of financial concepts (ROI, IRR, NPV, MISF, WACC, etc...).
- Strong math and computer skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Ability to work in high-stress, high-stakes environments to close critical transactions.
- Excellent communication skills –will interface directly with outside investors, lawyers, consultants, and internal senior management – professionalism is critical.
- Ability to work in a team environment.