Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 107,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries
The global Sr. Product Manager is part of the New Analyte Ventures group, an internal start-up venture within Abbott Diabetes Care, that focuses on identification, development and commercialization of new products utilizing Abbott’s personal use, wearable, continuous analyte monitoring system technology. This innovative technology is based on FreeStyle Libre, the world’s leading sensor-based glucose monitoring platform with over $1 billion in sales and 1.3 million users in 46 countries.
Main Purpose of Role:
Support the global product strategy, product development, project management and commercialization for New Analyte Ventures sensor-based analyte monitoring products and commercial programs. Key responsibilities include identifying new use cases and product opportunities, formulating a product and portfolio strategy and roadmap, championing product development, driving execution of projects, formulating launch, marketing and sales strategies and providing on-market support.
You will be responsible for the end-to-end product lifecycle management of your product portfolio from value proposition development to product development to launch, maintenance and end of life. You will work closely with key stakeholders, analyze the market, competition, clinical and customer needs, and technology developments to identify product opportunities that meet real customer needs and deliver on business objectives. Additionally, you will have project leadership responsibilities to ensure timely execution of cross-functional product development and commercial programs.
Product/Portfolio Vision and Roadmap – Identify new product opportunities and establish the product vision, roadmap and innovation plans for the New Analyte Ventures product portfolio and translate that into clear customer requirements for the development team.
- Product Strategy
- Define the global product strategy, including product profile target product positioning, competitive positioning, pricing, branding and distribution. Develop business cases to demonstrate commercial viability of products.
- Product Development
- Champion product development initiatives and serve as the voice of the customer on product development teams. Identify and prioritize product development opportunities by working with customers, sales and marketing, clinical teams, R&D and internal departments.
- Drive the concept definition, business case development and product feasibility phases of the product development process.
- Understand and prioritize customer targets, value concepts/needs and importance through primary and secondary market research, including one-on-one customer interviews, focus groups, qualitative market research and web based surveys.
- Work with R&D to translate customer requirements into product requirements and to assess potential tradeoffs.
- Project Management – Plan and drive the successful execution of cross-functional projects in support of product development and commercial initiatives both on-time and on-budget.
- Commercialization and On Market Support
- Provide guidance on the development and maintenance of packaging and labeling.
- Work with Marketing, Commercial, and Market Access groups to develop commercialization strategies and rollout plans.
- Develop and execute global product launch plans and sales force training.
- Develop and execute creative strategies and marketing materials
- Manage product lifecycle, conduct post launch review, assess line extensions, and manage pricing.
- Lead the planning and on-going development and execution of on market products including product improvements, marketing claims, updating marketing materials, and clinical design and claims.
Bachelors Degree with at least 4-6 years related experience, with at least one year experience in marketing or product management, or MBA with 1-3 yrs related experience. Marketing product/brand marketing experience in either health care/OTC marketing; or consumer packaged goods marketing; or a combination of the two preferred. Prefer candidates that have 8 to 10 experience in this discipline. Self-starter that is assertive, possesses a high degree of self-confidence and intellectual curiosity, and demonstrates good executive presence. Strong demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to influence partners in other functional areas. Proven ability to identify/define business questions and issues and develop strategic, analytical and financial frameworks to conduct analysis. Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of management. Proven ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently under aggressive timelines in a dynamic environment. Comfortable working across functional areas and at varying levels of the organization. Previous experience with brand and product management, marketing strategy, marketing effectiveness, and strong communication and organization skills ideal.