Job Title: Staff Scientist Bioinformatics
Requisition ID: 131114BR
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location: Division Information
Emeryville CA: Genetic Sciences Division
How will you make an impact?
The Bioinformatics Department in the Life Science Group of Thermo Fisher Scientific seeks a talented and motivated Staff Scientist, Bioinformatics to provide analytical support for internal product research and development efforts. Work closely with Thermo Fisher Scientific scientists in the analysis and interpretation of DNA microarrays, sequencing data, and other data for applications such as determining gene copy number, genotyping SNPs, methylation, expression and more. Apply creative approaches to understanding genomic data and developing analytical pipelines in the development of products that improve human and animal health.
What will you do?
- Create application of new and existing data analysis techniques to copy number, genotyping, methylation and expression data.
- Work with large complex data sets.
- Interact with research and product development teams in experimental design and subsequent analysis and interpretation of data.
How will you get here?
Masters with 8+ years of experience or PhD with 5+ years of experience. Preferred degree in Bioinformatics. Willing to consider Bachelors with extensive and highly relevant experience.
- Experience with data analysis and analysis frameworks (like GATK) in the biological sciences.
- Advanced programming skills in Python or Perl in a UNIX environment and experience with R or MATLAB.
- Experience with bioinformatics databases and tools, such as high-throughput genomic mapping and sequence alignments, and be familiar with relational databases and SQL.
- Worked independently and show problem solving skills.
- Familiarity with a variety of public domain databases.
- Experience in analysis and visualization of microarray and sequencing data is highly desired.
- Experience with other genomic technologies considered a plus.
- Experience using web-based frameworks (like D3 or node.js) to visualize data considered a plus as well as experience with processing data using a parallel framework.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must possess exceptional communication skills and strong initiative and demonstrated ability to take ownership of challenging problems.
- Must enjoy working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.