We are seeking a full-time, experienced Trust and Estates Paralegal in the San Francisco Bay Area to work in the area of estate planning and trust and estate administration. The successful candidate is extremely empathetic and capable of offering the highest level of service to our clientele.
Responsibilities include all facets of estate planning and trust and estate administration, including meeting with clients, trustees, and family members, communicating with beneficiaries, drafting correspondence and legal documents, preparing deeds, asset spreadsheets and probate pleadings, preparing federal estate tax returns and gift tax returns, reviewing bank statements, and notarizing documents. This opportunity provides a hybrid-remote schedule, requiring flexibility and willingness to be onsite at least once a week in our downtown San Francisco office, as needed.
- Engage in the work of attorneys by demonstrating knowledge and status of current cases and projects, utilizing available resources.
- Draft simple wills, powers of attorney, advance health care directive, HIPAA releases, certifications of trust, etc.
- Assist with estate plan signings.
- Prepare and file probate court documents: notice of hearings, proofs of service, guardian ad litem petitions, etc.
- Prepare deeds and supporting documents to transfer title to real property to trusts or LLCs.
- Assist attorneys with the administration of decedent's trusts and estates: calendar deadlines, gather asset information from clients, prepare notices and other legal documents, etc.
- Assist attorneys with the preparation of federal estate tax returns and related filings.
- Interact with, and show compassion to, clients who have suffered the loss of a loved one or are under a great deal of stress.
- Set up, maintain, and ensure that files are kept current including classifying, arranging files, filing, and storing information.
- Monitor, prioritize, organize, and facilitate daily workflow in order to meet project deadlines. This includes all administrative tasks including scheduling meetings, calendar management, processing expense reimbursements etc.
- Various administrative tasks as required.
- 5+ years of estate planning and trust and estate administration experience.
- Bachelor's degree or paralegal certificate required.
- Proficient with Adobe Acrobat DC and Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Notary public or willing to become one.
- Knowledge of Probate process and rules, use of judicial council forms.
- Ability to use reference materials in order to assist attorneys with preparation of probate court filings and trust and estate administration tasks.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent proofreading skills.
- Knowledge of probate court rules and probate court filing procedures.
We are an equal opportunity employer and make hiring decisions based on merit. Recruitment, hiring, training, and job assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, or any other protected classification. We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.