Company’s Global Patient Solutions organization enables patient access to our life-saving medicines in more than 125 resource-challenged countries through innovative and sustainable partnerships. Reporting to the SVP, Global Patient Solutions and Intercontinental Region, this position is responsible for ensuring our efforts are focused on the opportunities with greatest impact and combining novel access programs, business model innovation, in-country operations and advocacy to ensure that Company treatments and technologies of public health importance are available and affordable.
As the primary voice for the world’s most underserved populations, the GPS organization must form strong partnerships with local governments, regulatory agencies, public health officials and cross-functional internal partners to facilitate market access, public health programs, strategic partnerships, commercialization opportunities and overall operations. The VP, GPS will lead the organization and maintain top talent with the skills necessary to maximize worldwide success. This is also a highly visible role in which the VP, will partner closely with our Public Affairs, Government Affairs and Medical Affairs teams to engage with policy makers, thought leaders, and influencers to promote awareness of Company’s work and champion the patient voice and experience.
- Strategic Engagement: Maximize the reach, impact, and efficiency of our access initiatives through strategic engagement with partners in select areas and geographies. Lead the analysis, insight and direction on segmentation, priorities and goals. Monitor trends and evolution of the regions, markets and potential commercial opportunities and adjust strategies as needed. Develop comprehensive strategy in priority countries within GPS markets.
- Distribution Management: Develop the most favorable conditions for the access and the maintenance of our products on the market while ensuring compliance, transparency, and best practice stakeholder management principles. Understand the regulatory environment and provide appropriate protections for Company’s IP. Lead the strategic and tactical management of distributors and develop and implement strategies that facilitate effective market access. Ensure a high level of cross-functional collaboration and integration with the Commercial, Finance, and Manufacturing teams.
- Partnership Strategy: Partner with country governments, health organizations and other global partners to develop targeted plans for high priority countries. Working with regional leaders, identify barriers to patient access and develop plans to address. Create compelling value propositions based on health economics data; develop educational awareness programs. Also, partner with our Generic Voluntary Licensees who serve to manufacture our products in a high-quality fashion and offer them in GPS markets at affordable prices.
- Organization Development: Responsible for the development of the GPS team, including the development of operating structures, priorities, and key relationships in and out of Company. This position will also be responsible for alignment within the commercial organization so the team is effectively partnering with internal and external organizations to drive attainment of overall objectives.
- Public Relations: Build relationships with and act as liaison to key third-party influencers and external constituencies. Drive innovative approaches for engaging external organizations, educating them about Company, and partner with them on issues and projects of shared importance. Help champion the patient voice and experience. Partner closely with Public Affairs to engage with policy makers, thought leaders, and influencers to promote the awareness of Company’s work and craft the compelling narrative. This role will be responsible for telling the “Company GPS Story” both internally and externally in a manner which inspires and engages others.
- Compliance and Risk Management: Design and develop access strategies that are consistent with Company’s Business Conduct policies, local laws, and best practices. Work to ensure that our distributor and licensee partners also remain compliant on Company’s behalf.
Background & Experience:
- Extensive experience in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry including expertise in global product strategic planning, tactical marketing, new product planning, portfolio management and lifecycle management
- Proven general management/P&L, commercial and matrix leadership experience
- Experience working in/with civil society/ NGOs, public heath, preferably in low- and middle-income countries
- Ability to manage, motivate and develop the team, possessing excellent interpersonal skills to lead individuals from a variety of cultures and disciplines.
- Direct experience in Virology/Infectious diseases, vaccines and/or Oncology products strongly preferred
- Intrinsic ambition to be an advocate for and contribute to delivering healthcare solutions to developing countries
- Proven track record implementing multidisciplinary and innovative approaches and practices at the intersection of health, government affairs, regulatory and commercial
- Propensity for new business opportunities/models, cost/benefit analysis, and a data-driven approach.
- Strong understanding of supply chain/distribution management
- Global experience required, specifically in emerging markets; high cultural fluency and literacy
- Demonstrated ability to structure and oversee large-scale, complex partnerships
- Strong understanding of communications, operations, legal, IP, finance, and compliance, with the ability to traverse these varied disciplines and develop effective and cohesive strategic and operational solutions
- Foreign language proficiency preferred
- Travel Requirement: 30% +
Skills & Behaviors:
- Self-motivator, enthusiastic, tenacious and energizing.
- Proactive and open to share, advise and coach colleagues.
- Agile in an evolving environment.
- Resilient with the ability to influence and deliver in an ambiguous environment.
- Ability to engage stakeholders and manage multiple stakeholders to achieve the objective.
- Curious with learning agility.
- Strategically minded, operationally excellent.
- Organized with systematic approach to prioritization.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong ability to motivate and develop team.