About the Role:
We are searching for a leader to head the logistics operations of our high-growth company. Company is revolutionizing the grocery industry and turning food waste upside down, one "ugly" carrot at a time. We need an individual who is genuinely exhilarated by our mission, who can help us grow into a premier organization. As the VP of Logistics, you must be motivated to lead the development of nationwide transportation networks, helping to support our expansion. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in the transportation industry. If you're motivated to reduce waste in all of its forms, and make a meaningful impact on the food industry, we'd love to talk!
- Support growth by developing inbound transportation networks and routes from seasonal growing regions to different pack centers across the U.S.
- Collaborate with internal partners (including the Company Purchasing team) and external partners to ensure appropriate and timely flow of produce and grocery into pack centers
- Maintain a reliable cold-chain for all inbound produce, ensuring temperature control from the moment it leaves the shipper’s dock until it gets to our docks
- Build out Standard Operating Procedures and create tools to optimize transportation logistics
- Own, standardize and optimize the last mile distribution system
- Work with shipping partners (both broker and asset-based) to ensure forecasted volume and service levels are consistently met
- Handle carrier performance issues and resolve problems as they arise
- Build and manage relationships with third party carriers
- Meet Key Performance Indicators for timeliness, cold chain, and cost
- Continuously improve process and productivity standards to ensure efficiency and accuracy
- Maintain food safety documentation to ensure compliance with the Department of Transportation (DOT), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and various government regulations
- Research and identify carrier market pricing for new business opportunities assessments
- Mentor and mange your team of Logistics professionals
Skills and Qualifications:
- 10+ years in the transportation industry
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Proven experience with LTL, FTL, and 3PL carriers
- Exhibited experience with last mile (in house) distribution
- Experience managing refrigerated, short-shelf life products
- Strong analytical, planning, negotiating, and organization skills
- Relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Intimate understanding of transportation and logistics principles, economics, and supply chain network behavior
- Sense of Urgency: You know the importance of time when it comes to fresh produce
- Own it Mentality: You know when to ask for help, but also move quickly to get it done. You seek out learning opportunities and new challenges
- Adaptable: Needs change quickly, and you have a positive perspective about it.
- Networker in your field: you have plenty of strong contacts in the industry from coast to coast.
- You’re passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all
Details of the Position:
- Full-time exempt position reporting to the COO
- Based out of San Francisco with moderate domestic travel required
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring credit towards your Company account!