Are you looking to flex your leadership skills, take on new challenges that will evolve an industry, and redefine the impact a leader can have on an organization At Company, we have the unique opportunity to transform the payments industry, the pace of change continue to move at warp speed and we are posed to ensure our strengths remain unbound and our weakness are exposed (and mitigated.) The role of a Risk Officer is evolving, technology and tools now allow us to take a proactive approach to risk management, to help the company define the future and grow to new heights. Safety and security is the lifeblood of the Company Network, we are seeking leaders who can ensure our ecosystem and clients base focus on growing transactions while keeping pitfalls at bay. Our ecosystems needs to be strong, our operations need to be sound and our fraud need to be controlled; this role is an opportunity to define the impact a risk leader can have on an industry!
The Vice President of US Client Risk Engagement will have key responsibilities to maintain trust in the brand, championing security in the industry and differentiating Company in the eyes of clients and key stakeholders for the segments for which they have responsibility. The individual will lead a team of Risk Manager focusing on our relationships and interaction across the entire US issuer and issuer processing landscape. She/He will be a member of the North American Risk Leadership Team providing thought leadership to drive strategies for the effective engagement on risk matters across the region.
The successful candidate will coordinate with Company’sClient Account team, relevant product teams, and the Global Risk functions to manage all risk related topics for the client. They will be responsible for planning and executing risk initiatives with the clients, being their advocate in the development of effective risk policies and programs, and for the development of new value added risk services that will support the overall relationship.
Reporting to the North America Regional Risk Officer, the candidate will be entrusted with managing a team as well as a broad portfolio, ranging from Large Financial Institutions, Regional and Community banks, Neobanks, FinTechs and Issuer Processors. These clients represent a diverse set of businesses who will need to draw on or engage across a number of risk disciplines; credit settlement risk, payment fraud disruption; data security; regulatory governance and franchise risk management.
The issuer and processor segment includes some of Company’s most strategically important clients. The responsibility will span from our most sophisticated issuing clients to the newest NeoBanks entering the market. The level of knowledge, understand and tools will vary from client to client, so preparation and flexibility will be critical to success. In addition, issuer processor have an understated influence in our ecosystem making up 50% of credit and over 20% of debit payment volume handled on behalf of Issuer clients. Having a large influence over the performance of their clients’ (Company Issuers) program, they directly and indirectly affect Issuer perception of Company’s security brand, and of the performance of the products implemented. Ability to work with and influence the risk relationship with this consolidating industry will have a significant impact on our growth.
Our clients will collectively participate in a range of different Company products: debit and prepaid programs, consumer and commercial payments, Company Direct etc. In doing so they will deploy multiple payment technologies (EMV chip, tokens etc.) using different access technologies therefore the role will require a candidate conversant with the breadth of Company’s products and technologies.
In all situations, the candidate will interact and represent Company with senior level client executives, on the business and risk side, will represent Company at external conferences, through webinars or other engagement channels, and be responsible for presenting at Company senior executive meetings.
- Develop strategy for and execute comprehensive risk plans by segment and key client
- Execute risk management programs
- Lead client engagements, both with individual clients and group events
- Promote & support client adoption of Company risk products / solutions / initiatives
- Identify new, creative "win-win" methods to reduce and mitigate payment system risk, fraud and cardholder data security risks
- Identify, and participate in Company Consulting & Analytics Risk engagements with client base
- Prepare reports, presentations, education materials and other written products to present Company’s analysis and guidance
- Convey risk-related trends and developments to clients through regular individual and group engagements
- Synthesize marketplace feedback regarding the effectiveness of Company’s risk management strategy and programs and provide input back to Risk and Product teams on new product or services ideas.
- Represent Company at conferences and events.
- Lead the responsible innovation initiative by assisting Company and its clients mitigate risks and embrace new technology improvements.
- Assess emerging/innovation risks and new business models
- Leverage local insights to contribute to Risk thought leadership
- Guide clients through payment innovation complexity
- Manage relationships with issuers, payment processors, service providers, regulators and law enforcement to:
- Resolve fraud & data breach events
- Provide stakeholder training
- Respond to ad hoc queries & analytics requirements
- Identify opportunities to enhance the payment ecosystem and advance risk management best practice.
- Support constructive relationships with local market regulators and law enforcement agencies
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 10 years of experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 8 years of work experience with a PhD
- Strong understanding of the payment ecosystem – the different players that make up the ecosystem, the data flows that touch the network and the impact stability & growth play in the future of payments.
- Comprehensive understanding of all aspects of payment system risk
- Experience protecting the Company payment ecosystem from risks through the development and implementation of effective programs to drive preferred behavior.
- Demonstrated understanding of how Risk contributes to brand and business growth.
Strategic and Analytic Skills
- Able to understand the bigger picture and align work with strategic priorities
- Able to commission, interpret and present complex analytics to identify root cause of an issue and recommend remediation actions
- Maintains strong personal base of knowledge with respect to risk management, industry practices, trends, and issues.
Collaboration and Communication
- Works cross-functionally with account teams and with product unit heads to deliver insights that drive key client strategies and decisions.
- Works effectively with clients and external stakeholders – banks, processors, third party vendors.
- Proven ability to influence, collaborate, and work in matrix environment.
Executing for Results
- Intellectually curious; finds stories in the data, asks the right questions, demonstrated track record of mining data & intelligence for game-changing insights that generate big impacts.
- Gets things done; relentlessly focuses on results; aligns efforts with business objectives.
- Lead by example; set high personal standards and a commitment to grow others.
- Experience developing talent and infusing knowledge and experience across wider organization.
- Global and deep knowledge of the payments industry and the major trends affecting the major stakeholders, including regulatory, market environment, competitive landscape, technology and new and emerging fraud vectors.
- 12 – 15 years of experience in leadership across technology products/ solutions, or similar years of experience in a leadership position within a financial institution, potentially as a key customer for Company’s services on the client side.
- Solid general management background, with proven track record in strategic thinking, financial planning, risk management, relationship building and project leadership.
- Graduate degree with a focus on general management will be preferred.