Assistant Director of Nurses Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) Registered Nurse (RN) POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Assistant Director of Nurses Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) Registered Nurse (RN) is a licensed professional nurse immediately under the Director of Nurses. The Assistant Director of Nurses is to assist the Director as instructed and has the authority of the Director of carrying out given tasks or areas of supervision in the Director’s absence.
Assistant Director of Nurses Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) Registered Nurse (RN) QUALIFICATIONS
•A graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing or an approved LVN program.
•Current nursing licensure as a nurse in the State in which practicing. A Registered Nurse is preferred.
• A minimum of two year’s experience in supervision.
• Possession of good mental and physical health.
•Demonstrates leadership ability and capability to work effectively with all levels of personnel.
•Ability to communicate effectively in English through both speech and writing.
•Administrative ability with evidence of professional competence and flexibility.
•Working knowledge of federal, state, and county laws governing skilled care nursing facilities.
Assistant Director of Nurses Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) Registered Nurse (RN) GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist the Director of Nurses as she/he instructs in areas of personnel, orientation, supervision, and staffing.
• Periodically checks residents’ records and reports.
• Keeps the Director informed of potential problems or problem areas within the nursing department
with accurate reporting.
• Reviews physician’s orders, transfer and admission information for completeness.
• Review transcriptions of physician’s orders to resident charts, with medication and treatment sheets to
assure that they are accurate and current.
• Assist in admitting, transferring and discharging residents.
• Make weekly skin assessment rounds with the Treatment Nurse.
• Make Licensed Nurses’ monthly schedule.
• Work with the consultants as necessary and implement recommended changes as directed by the
Director of Nurses.
• Review, update, and revise resident Plans of Care for appropriate resident goals, problems and
approaches to assure that appropriate nursing care is being rendered. ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF NURSES – Cont’d.
Job Descriptions Manual
Job Title: Reports to: Supervises:
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF NURSES
Assistant Director of Nurses Director of Nursing Services
• All licensed staff
• Certified and non-certified Nursing Assistants
• Restorative Nursing Assistants
Assistant Director of Nurses Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) Registered Nurse (RN) Job Descriptions Manual
• Assure that nursing personnel follow established infection control and aseptic techniques when isolation procedures become necessary.
• Review resident charts for completeness and appropriateness of treatment and medication orders.
• Review restraint assessments, pain assessments, oral assessments, psychotropic assessments, and
bowel and bladder assessments for completeness.
• Check completeness and accuracy of Intake and Output documentation.
• Participate in Weight Variance and Pressure Ulcer committee meetings.
• Attend staff meetings and in-service classes.
• Review monthly recapped physician’s orders with medication sheet, one week before the end of each
month to ensure the accuracy in the transcription of physician’s orders.
• Others as may become necessary and appropriate or as may be directed by the Director of Nurses or
• Is alert to efficient functioning of nursing department with other facility departments.
• Periodically makes nursing rounds.
• Assure that nursing personnel are providing adequate nursing care in accordance with established
nursing service procedure.
• Follow up on correction of findings and deficiencies of Department of Health Services, Consultants,
and Quality Assurance Team.
• Review and evaluate nursing personnel and make recommendations to the Director of Nurses.
• Assist in orientation of newly assigned personnel as well as supervise and instruct other nursing
• Assist in supervision and direction of nursing personnel.
• Assist in investigation of unusual occurrence or alleged abuse and promptly notify the Director of
• Presents professional image to consumers through dress, behavior, and speech.
• Adheres to Company standards for resolving consumer concerns.
• Ensures that all resident rights are protected.