Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Stanford, CA 94305
Contract Length- 4 months (Extension or could turn Permanent)
Pay rate- 42.96
The Department of Comparative Medicine of Stanford University's School of Medicine is seeking a experienced clinical laboratory scientist, immunologist, and/or molecular biologist to join a dynamic Diagnostic Lab Team to perform highly complex clinical testing in the Molecular Diagnostics & Immunology Section. Position will function as an expert technical resource in this area performing the most complex assays and providing training and mentoring to other Clinical Laboratory Scientist staff. There is a blend of routine assay work and innovative assay development to meet the needs of the department and clientele research needs. Development, testing and validation of new novel approaches may lead to publications.
- Perform highly complex specialized manual and automated testing on various types of clinical samples including RTPCR, ELISA, MFIA and other multiplex assays for a variety of biomarker or pathogen testing.
- Analyze and evaluate results, and generate and evaluate clinical reports.
- Perform final review of sample processing, test preparation, testing results, and reports generated by staff. Sign out reports to next level review or to physicians.
- Serve as expert, technical resource, and/or point person for one or more specialized areas or instruments in the department. Train and mentor other Clinical Laboratory Scientists (CLS).
- Evaluate, validate, and optimize new assays; may evaluate new technologies and make recommendations on new acquisitions and/or upgrades of instrumentation and software.
- Review quality assurance and quality control data and take corrective action for assigned area, as needed. Maintain documentation and assure that regulatory requirements are in compliance.
- Assist with scheduling and workflow coordination.
- Write, review, and edit protocols and procedures; maintain procedure manuals
- Oversee completion of equipment maintenance, instrumentation calibration, quality control and documentation, and ensure adequate supply of supplies and equipment.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Train / teach other medical school/department professionals and students via direct bench training or through group lectures.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Four year college degree in medical technology or a life science and five years of relevant experience in a clinical lab or in a research laboratory using a broad array of assays and techniques. Candidates may also hold a CLS or CGMBS license, PhD or master's degree.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of clinical sample testing in Immunology and Molecular Diagnostics of expertise.
- Advanced understanding of complex testing processes and underlying biology of the system.
- Ability to independently interpret and synthesize results, from a wide variety of tests, correctly and quickly; and involve others at the appropriate time; may issue reports.
- Advanced knowledge of laboratory information system/database and operation, or ability to learn system quickly.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.