POSITION: District Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt; Full-time
REPORTS TO: Director of Retail
Equator Coffees is an impact-driven, award-winning coffee roaster, mission-led retail operator, and conscious coffee farm owner headquartered in Marin County, CA. Founded in 1995 by Brooke McDonnell and Helen Russell, Equator's strong commitment to a sustainable, transparent approach spans more than two decades. In 2011, Equator formalized its commitment to sustainability by becoming a certified B Corporation, making it the first California coffee roaster to do so. In 2016, we were voted National Small Business of the Year and one of San Francisco Business Times Top 100 Women-Owned Business for the past 12 years. Today, Equator operates nine retail cafes in the San Francisco Bay Area, one in Los Angeles, and has an expanding national wholesale business.
Equator connects global coffee farming communities and coffee lovers in the US. The journey from seed to cup is long. Every step in our supply chain should be equitable, sustainable and beneficial for all involved. We call it the Chain of Well-Being. We value our relationships in the global coffee community and invest in projects at origin to help our partners and their communities thrive.
The District Manager leads the General Managers and the teams to deliver an exceptional coffee experience with the utmost in hospitality and kindness to every customer in our retail cafés. The District Manager is responsible for creating a highly engaged and high performing team through training, coaching and by providing direction. The District Manager is responsible for producing a profitable district where all people and financial targets are met.
This is a unique opportunity for someone who is passionate about people, coffee, and has a desire to broaden existing retail operations and people management experience by supporting and improving all retail café functions, working for a female founded, certified B Corporation. B Corps are leaders in the global movement for an inclusive, equitable, and regenerative economy.
- Creates a culture of hiring, training, developing and retaining employees at all levels
- Provides an exceptional coffee experience in all cafes every time and expects it with every member of the team
- Sets clear objectives and holds teams accountable to high performance expectations
- Serves as a resource to provide knowledge and expertise on specialty coffee, customer service, team staffing, training and development, store management and operations and company policies and procedures.
- Recruits, selects and retains high quality store managers and ensures all stores are adequately staffed with quality team members and supervisors; works with the store manager through staffing issues
- Gives continual feedback to managers, positive and constructive, and completes performance reviews on a bi-annual basis; oversees completion of employee reviews
- Schedules oneself to spend significant time at each store each week
- Monitors the scheduling at each store to ensure proper staffing, manager involvement and labor cost goals are met.
- Ensures systems, policies and procedures are followed at the store level, as well as all Equator standards are met
- Works with the Director of Retail and General Manager to do quality control walks and checks and balances on each visit, as well as helps with food operation-based training
- Continuously develop self and team in coffee knowledge and shares it with customers
- Coaches, mentors, inspires and motivates general managers and assistant managers in a positive internal environment
- Communicates regularly with team, provides positive and constructive feedback and conducts weekly team calls and participates in monthly team meetings
- Monitors, coaches and encourages team members to the exceed the customer’s expectations through the team’s execution of the operations, processes, recipes and knowledge
- Is relentless to find ways to drive sales through increased traffic and average ticket and create new customers.
- Monitors Key Performance Indicators, always looking for areas to improve
- Responds to emails and calls in agreed upon time frame and holds General Managers and teams accountable for same level of responsiveness
- Works with the Director of Retail to assist with store openings in the capacity of hiring, setup, training, opening, etc.
- Able to influence inside the organization through building relationships and effective communication
SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines while managing competing priorities
- Resourceful, results driven, collaborative, team player
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), Google Suite (Mail, Calendar, Meet, Drive, Docs, Slides, Sites, Forms) DocuSign and Dropbox
- Demonstrates a passion for coffee and inspires it in others
- Experience successfully recruiting, hiring, retaining and managing staff
- An ability to provide a high level of customer service
- Exhibits strong leadership, relationship, team building and conflict management skills
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment and decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, lead change, and deal with the ambiguity
- Able to work full time (the work regularly demands in excess of 40 hours per week) including flexible hours including early morning, evenings, weekend and/or holidays
- Experience reviewing financial reports and meeting budgets
- Experience with POS systems and people management software systems
- You’re a coach who knows when to provide feedback, direction and when to motivate the team
- Strong leadership skills with professional maturity
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years of multi-unit retail experience managing 2 or more profitable and operationally sound stores, responsible for financial reporting and budgeting, inventory, quality, operations and customer service
- 5+ years of management experience leading a team of 6 or more, including training and coaching, with strong leadership and effective communication skills
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Bachelor Degree preferred. Minimum High School or GED. Note: a college degree in business or a closely related field, OR 4+ years of US Military service may substitute for a portion of the required experience
- The opportunity to work with a growing and dynamic organization
- Competitive salary
- 100% Employer Covered Premium Medical Insurance
- Group Dental & Vision Insurance Plans Available
- Employer Covered Life Insurance Premium
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - Extensive Physical and Mental Health, Financial and Legal Coaching Available at no cost to the employee
- Paid Time Off
- 7 paid holidays per year
- 1 paid volunteer day per year
- 401K - Employee eligible after 1 year of employment
- Free coffee
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Email cover letter and resume to: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
Equator Coffees is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, and discharge will be based on competence, performance and the business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
B CORP DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE
We envision a global economy that uses business as a force for good. This economy is comprised of a new type of corporation – the B Corporation – which is purpose-driven and creates benefit for all stakeholders, not just shareholders.
As Certified B Corporations and leaders of this emerging economy, we believe:
- That we must be the change we seek in the world.
- That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
- That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
- To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are each dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.