Consider joining Lancaster Laboratories where people are the most important element in our chemistry. Celebrating 50 years of service, Lancaster Laboratories is a leading contract lab providing testing and research services in the environmental, pharmaceutical, and biopharmaceutical sciences to clients worldwide.
Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories, a nationally recognized laboratory, is searching for an experienced Scientist to work in our Professional Scientific Services group in Emeryville, California. The primary purpose of this position is to work with Senior level associates to develop robust Downstream processes in support of developing and optimizing production processes including process parameter optimization, process characterization, scale-up/tech transfer for large scale product production and support successful implementation of production processes at commercial scale.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate ability to learn new techniques, work with Senior level associates to solve problems, prepare technical reports; and evaluate new instrumentation or process techniques
- Independently execute laboratory-based studies as defined in protocols, analyze and interpret results, participate in process improvement, development, and qualification activities
- Ensure experimental and testing work is performed as defined in the approved study protocols or SOPs/guidelines
- Present study results to MS&T and cross functional project teams to provide updates on project status and progress
- Work closely with the other MS&T Team members, be engaged in the planning of experiments resulting from campaign learnings to increase process robustness
- Ensure accurate and complete documentation of any scientific experimental plan, data and report
- Takes Lead role in maintaining laboratory facilities and equipment in accordance with company policies and industrial best practices
- Ensure sufficient stock of chemicals and lab supplies. Order chemicals and reagents in a timely manner for conducting experiments in support of departmental projects
- Ensures labs are clean, safe, and organized to ensure efficient performance of activities
- Coordinates vendor visits for onsite service, work with instrumentation group for other calibration events
- Adhere to all site safety, environmental and industrial hygiene procedures and practices, and actively participate in maintaining and enhancing the safety of the workplace and the laboratories
- Troubleshoot, repair, clean and operate equipment, as needed
- Improve laboratory practices to increase throughput and decrease errors
- Apply organizational and creative skills to improve lab operations
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD POSSESS:
- Hands-on experience in modern protein purification techniques (chromatography [affinity, ion-exchange, hydrophobic, mixed mode, experience working with AKTA}, Unicorn, clarification/filtration, ultrafiltration/diafiltration) are required
- Execute protocols ranging from resin screening, chromatography, filter sizing and TFF optimization
- Working knowledge of AKTA Avant and Pilot systems and associated software, AKTA Unicorn and Assist software
- Working knowledge and ability to program Unicorn and Assist Plate Reader software or an equivalent
- Experience with packing small and pilot scale chromatography columns
- Perform routine laboratory operations like buffer preparation, and filtration to support purification
- Understanding of basic statistical data analysis and a willingness to explore advanced statistical modelling tools
- Demonstrated effective communication, oral and written, in a multi-disciplinary, project-driven work environment
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, collaborative, and able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- May be required to work periodically out of normal business hours
- Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, the ability to multitask, and effective interpersonal and communication skills are required
- Proficient with the use of MS Office software (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint) and application software (not limited to) including Unicorn, JMP, Minitab, Design Expert etc)
- BS in Biochemistry, Biochemical Engineering, or related field with 5+ yrs industry experience in developing protein/antibody purification processes, OR
- Master degree with 2+ years of experience
- Authorization to work in the United States indefinitely without restriction or sponsorship
What we offer:
- Excellent full time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation and holidays
Position is full-time, 8am - 5pm with ocassional overtime required. Candidates currently living within a commutable distance of Emeryville, California are encouraged to apply.
Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories Professional Scientific Services® (PSS) is a global, award-winning insourcing solution that places our people at our clients’ site dedicated to running and managing laboratory services while eliminating headcount, co-employment and project-management worries.
We infuse our 55-year track record of scientific and laboratory operations expertise, as well as HR and great place to work best practices, to recruit, hire, train and manage highly qualified scientists to perform laboratory services using our client’s quality systems and equipment.
Eurofins is a M/F, Disabled, and Veteran Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.