Requisition ID # 100565
Job Category : Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Customer Care
The Customer Energy Solutions (CES) organization provides integrated energy solutions designed to help customers save energy and money. CES delivers targeted energy management and rates products that address the specific needs of customers of varied sizes (large commercial and industrial enterprises, to residential customers) in diverse market segments across all energy technologies.
Within CES, the Clean Energy Transportation (CET) group is focused on accelerating the adoption of clean vehicles in California. CET leads a ~$0.5B portfolio of transportation electrification (TE) programs to increase the adoption of clean vehicles in California as we work to address one of the largest contributors to climate change. We serve PG&E’s customers by deploying electric vehicle programs to increase access to charging infrastructure, reduce total cost of electric vehicle ownership, educating our customers and pursuing innovative R&D on the future of transportation electrification.
We focus on safety and quality, invest in our team’s success, solve problems and strive to be better, work as an integrated team, and build trusted relationships. We collaborate and are intellectually curious. We are looking to collaborate with passionate, thoughtful people who want to make a real impact. Come join our team and help drive the transition to clean energy transportation.
CET’s Regulatory, Compliance and Pilots (RCP) team creates, tests and advocates for evidence-based clean energy transportation solutions by spearheading pilot projects, policy frameworks, tailored customer offerings, and stakeholder engagement. Within RCP, Business Analysts are responsible for research, data analysis, special projects, forecasting, program and pilot evaluation, and reporting in support of business decision making, business strategy and business operations.
The Transportation Electrification (TE) Expert Business Analyst will be a proven team player with a track record of independently producing value-add data-driven financial and strategic analyses and insights. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to scope data requirements, develop models, and lead strategic analyses that will aid in the development and implementation of TE policy, pilots, and strategy and new TE programs. The candidate will also perform benchmarking and market monitoring related to the larger TE market. They will have excellent presentation, written, and verbal communication skills, a strong ability to think strategically, the ability to work independently, and a passion for making an impact.
Responsibilities typically include many or all of the following:
Strategic Data Analysis: Scopes and leads analysis with other RCP team members and compiles and analyzes data. May develop and/or maintain data models for what-if analysis and for other business purposes.
Forecasting: Develops forecasts using sometimes limited data to help the RCP team understand future TE trends and how they may impact PG&E customers.
Research: Researches and analyzes existing and emerging TE market developments; creates and maintains internal and external market monitoring processes and communicates key findings to leadership in support of business decisions.
Metrics and Reporting: Develops and tracks business metrics related to PG&E’s TE rates and pilots. Develops and maintains standard, custom and ad-hoc reports.
Quality Assurance & Business Process Improvement: May perform business process improvement activities in support of the business.
Project Management: Lead projects, determining scope, budget, timeframes, forming teams, assigning tasks, managing resources and issues.
Manages cross-functional projects or initiatives and leads TE Strategic Modeling:
- Performs analysis on highly complex data models that have cross-functional impact, like an EV contribution-to-margin model to support strategy decision-making.
- Works collaboratively with the RCP team to prioritize, scope and execute on data analysis needs to support policy, pilots, strategy, and new program development.
- Analyses could include financial assessment of TE programs, pilot evaluation, rate analysis and/or strategic analysis
Leads TE Load Research and Rate Analytical Support:
- Applies advanced knowledge to provide analytical support for wide-ranging TE issues, including EV rates, EV load impacts to the PG&E electric grid, and customer usage and charging patterns.
- Coordinates with Resource Forecasting to provide any updates to assumptions, or guide improvements in PG&E’s EV adoption and load forecasting modeling framework based on market changes in light, medium and heavy-duty TE sector
- Acts as project manager / lead, coordinating with Rates, Pricing Products, Customer Insights and Regulatory Affairs to host a public EV rate workshop where PG&E will present results of analyses of EV rate data for the newly launched business EV rate
- Provides analytical support for PG&E’s proposed dynamic EV rate pilot
Develops innovative data solutions to address complex TE issues:
- Supports RCP’s data strategy work, advancing recommendations the team has made to improve data gathering and analysis for future strategic analytical work
- Regularly monitors the TE and EV infrastructure market technology and policy trends and communicate insights to the Team; in addition to designing standardized reporting frameworks and processes
- Develops or supports business cases in support of strategy or innovative initiatives
- Works with and leverages relationships with Directors and Managers across functions / PG&E and presents findings and proposed recommendations to leaders.
Supports TE Policy Development
- Provide necessary support related to the regulatory approval of various TE applications, including the development of TE Rate Principles in coordination with the California Public Utilities Commission DRIVE Rulemaking
- Act as subject matter expert with respect to TE data, in collaboration with internal Rate Data Analytics, Resource Forecasting and Business Analytics Teams and provide ad-hoc support on topics such pilot proposals, including TE pilot evaluation and measurement, comments on California Energy Commission analyses and forecasts (e.g., the IEPR, AB2127, etc.), and legislative bill impacts
- BS in Business, Finance, Economics, Engineering or related discipline or equivalent work experience required.
- 6 of related work experience
- MBA or graduate degree
- Experience framing and communicating complex data and insights in a clear and concise fashion for internal and external stakeholders
- Understanding of energy industry and/or transportation electrification dynamics, trends, and issues, including rate and legislative/regulatory matters and business drivers
- Experience with Python, R, or similar scripting languages
- Experience working with data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI)
- Experience analyzing large volumes of data, extracting insights and processing large data sets using SQL or SQL-like scripting language.