Physical Education Teacher
Phillips Brooks School (PBS) announces a search for a pre-school and elementary-grades physical education teacher. Reporting to the Assistant Head of School for Academics, the Physical Education Teacher is responsible for instruction in all areas of physical education.
We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and identities and are committed to an inclusive work environment. You'll have an opportunity to contribute to an upbeat, growth-oriented professional learning community that appreciates collaboration, creativity, and an innovative approach to all aspects of school life. We strive daily to uphold our mission and core values of kindness, courage, community, and love of learning
For more information on Phillips Brooks School, please visit: www.phillipsbrooks.org
The teacher designs and facilitates physical education classes for preschool - 5th-grade students using curriculum and teaching strategies consistent with PBS’s mission and core values. Furthermore, the teacher is attuned to the specific learning needs and social and emotional development of each student. As a central figure in the network of adults supporting each child, the teacher maintains ongoing communications, formal and informal, with parents, grade-level teams, and administrators. The teacher is also responsible for:
- Developing physical education classes with a focus on overall fitness, including aerobic capacity, gross motor skill development, strength, endurance and flexibility; body movement; and corporal expression
- Planning and implementing physical education activities and evaluating student outcomes to promote student engagement.
- Supporting the social-emotional development of students with a focus on teamwork, collaboration, sportspersonship, problem solving and conflict resolution
- Establishing a learning environment with clear and consistent routines and expectations to promote student autonomy and engagement.
- Contributing to interdisciplinary curriculum design and student support strategies with the grade-level teams and other specialists.
- Differentiating instruction to offer classes that are inclusive of a wide range of abilities and experiences among students
- Building the foundation for a lifelong appreciation of health and wellness.
- Coaching After-School sports
- Bringing heart, dedication, collaboration, passion, and humor to our vibrant learning community.
The successful candidate must love working with preschool-5th-grade children, possess a nurturing teaching style, and interact productively with parents. The position requires an undergraduate degree and at least three years of experience teaching elementary school. Preferred qualifications include specific experience teaching elementary school physical education, a Multiple Subject Credential, and a master’s degree in education or a related field.
How to Apply
Candidates for this position should submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three to five references (including current supervisor).