Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Optum Payment Integrity team is growing. We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to join our team. This individual will be responsible for the development and delivery of large and complex predictive modeling projects for healthcare Payment Integrity processes. Principal Data Scientist develops innovative and effective approaches to solve client's analytics problems and communicates results and methodologies. Principal Data Scientist also provides leadership and guidance to Data Scientists to discover business insights, identifies opportunities, and provides solutions and recommendations to solve business problems through the use of statistical, algorithmic, data mining and visualization techniques. In addition to advanced analytic skills, Principal Data Scientist is also proficient at integrating and preparing large, varied datasets, architecting specialized database and computing environments, and communicating results.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Apply advanced machine learning and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve on multiple predictive detection engines in Optum Enterprise Analytics
- Migrate legacy production processes to modern machine learning frameworks
- Lead discovery processes for healthcare claims with Data Scientists and partner with Payment Integrity Operation management to identify the business requirements and the expected outcome
- Create and provide sound data science analyses and frame business scenarios that are meaningful and which impact on critical business processes and/or decisions
- Collaborate with the data steward to gather information to be used for analytics and predictive model building purpose and to ensure the data meets the requirements of the analyses
- Design sampling methodology, prepare data (including data cleaning, univariate analysis, missing value imputation, etc.), identify appropriate analytic methodology, develop predictive models, and document process and results
- Communicate analytics results and predictive models to business partners and clients
- Provide on-going tracking and monitoring of performance of statistical models and recommend ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that improve payment integrity
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in machine learning, computer science, (bio) statistics, applied statistics, applied mathematics, economics, or similar quantitative fields of study
- 7+ years of experience with hands-on modeling skills and strong analytic programming skills using Python and standard libraries, such as scikit-learn, Pandas, TensorFlow, and Spark ML
- 7+ years of experience manipulating large structured datasets, including familiarity with SQL
- Experience working with large-data technologies, especially S3 and PySpark
- Knowledge of modeling techniques, such as ensemble modeling, ANN, SVM, Random Forests, probabilistic modeling, Deep Learning
- Demonstrated ability to quickly understand new concepts - all the way down to the theorems - and to generate original solutions to mathematical issues
- Demonstrated ability to balance the needs of both innovation and application within an operational context
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained
- Experience with professional and facility healthcare claims data
- Working knowledge and understanding of medical coding, including ICD, CPT, DRG.
- Experience with Pre-Payment Integrity processes
- Experience with machine learning on large data sets (e.g., Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce)
- UI design experience for automated and-or end-user-interactive visualizations, displays or reports based on the models’ outcomes (for example using Tableau or Python Dash)
- Self-motivated and capable of being effective in a remote position
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Data Scientist, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting, Work at Home, Work from Home, Remote