NextEra Energy Resources is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.
Position Specific Description
eIQ Mobility, a subsidiary of Nextera Energy, is a data science and software company based in San Francisco, CA. eIQ Mobility is the leading software provider of fleet electrification solutions, building the most trusted platform that drives vehicle fleets into a smart, electric, and cost-effective future. eIQ Mobility was founded in 2018 in response to the unique roadblocks that corporate and public fleet leaders face in electrifying their vehicles, starting with identifying ‘where and how’ to electrify. To date, eIQ Mobility has assessed 150,000+ vehicles for EV feasibility for Fortune 500 companies, EV manufacturers, utilities, and public fleets.
eIQ software engineers collaborate with data scientists, product experts and business leaders to design, build, and maintain applications that model and operate electrified fleets. We work as a team: each of us taking their turn to lead, follow, teach, or learn as the occasion requires. On any given day, one of us might:
- Write a small web service using Python’s Flask framework
- Review a colleague’s PR for functionality, security, and quality
- Debug a container orchestration issue on Google Cloud
- Write a script to load customer data into our SQL store
- Tweak a ReactJS component holding a data visualization
- Consult with business leaders on a utility-scale clean energy initiative
You might be a good fit for this role if:
- You have excellent cloud software development skills: distributed system design, container orchestration, data engineering, integrated testing, and the review of complex patches
- You are an exemplary teammate: always ready to help a colleague, express complex concepts clearly, listen to complicated explanations patiently, do unavoidable chores cheerfully, and leverage your attention effectively
- You will be very productive with our primary toolkit: Python, SQL, HTTP, bash/POSIX, and container orchestration
- You can occasionally contribute to our secondary needs: Google Cloud administration (Kubernetes, CI/CD, GCP-specific data services), ReactJS, visualization and observability
- (We would like at least one of our new colleagues to have strong Kubernetes skills)
- You have previous experience with data science pipelines, the transportation industry, or electricity systems
- You have a passion for decarbonizing transportation and want a career that positively impacts millions of human beings
This position writes and tests software to aid in development and support of products. Individuals in this role work with Technical Leads on software system architecture and service design and typically leads a module in the system. This position participates in required product development process ceremonies. Employees in this role are responsible for writing and refining technical requirements and technical design documentation.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Codes in multiple languages in support of software products and the development of software products
- Conducts system testing and codes unit tests and support features
- Documents technical requirement and other technical documentation
- Works with product team to refine product requirements
- Collaborates on high level software design projects and software system architecture and creates effective component level architectures
- Leads software module construction from architecture and design to implementation and may lead a small team of engineers in building the module
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience: 7+ years
- Bachelor’s - Engineering
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Science, Research, and Technology
Organization: NextEra Project Mgmt
Location: San Francisco, California
Other Work Locations: California
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé], providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our policy for more information.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland