Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Phillipines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
SUMMARY OF ROLE
We are seeking an individual who will be part of SunPower’s Commercial & Industrial Project Finance team, which arranges complex financings for portfolios of commercial solar + storage projects. The Project Finance group is responsible for interfacing with debt and equity investors in the solar space. This includes ownership of relationships and transactions with investment banks, private equity firms, lenders, and corporate investors. The team performs detailed financial analysis of financing options, and negotiates and manages transaction closings. Additionally, the team manages significant cross-functional communication across sales, development, accounting, asset management, tax, and other functions to optimize financing strategy.
The candidate should have experience with tax-incentivized finance structures, including leases and partnership arrangements, as well as experience with non-recourse financings. This role requires strong communication and analytical skills, experience leading and closing transactions, an understanding of relevant tax and GAAP regulations, contractual matters, and analytic models. Familiarity with the energy industry and finance providers in this industry segment is preferred. This position reports to the Director of Project Finance, and closely coordinates efforts with business unit leaders, counsel, treasury, and other team members. The Project Finance group is a lean team with a flat hierarchical structure, and the candidate must be willing to not only lead transactions and negotiations, but be highly involved in diligence, modeling, and all aspects of the deal closing process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
Working in a team environment, the Principal will:
- Support and lead the origination, analysis, structuring, documentation and execution of residential project finance transactions
- Interact with the SunPower sales team and customers to understand objectives and recognize challenges to be addressed in designing the project financing plan
- Supervise analysts in in-depth financial analysis to develop the appropriate financing strategy for a given situation; analysis includes evaluating different debt or equity providers, structured transactions vs. asset sales vs. leases, as well as assisting the sales team with pricing for end customers.
- Demonstrate comfort and prowess with project finance excel models.
- Maintain and develop strategic relationships with finance providers, particularly “tax-equity” investors – understand investor strengths and limitations.
- Work with in-house and external counsel to structure, negotiate, and close financing documentation.
- Participate in the effective solicitation of financing proposals from the marketplace and ensure a fair and comprehensive bidding process.
- Lead and be held accountable for successful transaction closings under tight deadlines.
- Communicate with other departments including Sales, Operations, Accounting, Tax, Asset Management, and O&M on transaction details as well as business planning and work processes.
- Provide consultative assistance and follow-up services on closed transactions as necessary.
- Assist SunPower business units with the development of new channels of business.
- Explore, recommend and lead improvements in work processes.
- Track renewable energy markets, be aware of potential impacts on SunPower financing strategies.
- Develop and implement improved financial structures.
RELATED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
A degree in finance, accounting, engineering or other relevant fields, with 4-6 years of experience in project finance, leasing or equipment finance is required.
A deep understanding of the following is expected:
- Tax-Equity investor and investment experience.
- Experience in equity and debt fundraising.
- Understanding and negotiation of PPA’s, leases and other project financing legal arrangements.
- Familiarity with solar financing structures including partnerships, leases and secured debt structures.
- Experience performing financial modeling and the understanding of financial concepts (ROI, IRR, NPV, MISF, WACC, etc...).
- Strong math and computer skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Ability to work in high-stress, high-stakes environments to close critical transactions.
- Excellent communication skills –will interface directly with outside investors, lawyers, consultants, and internal senior management – professionalism is critical.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION
- Work-skill samples may be required as part of the candidate review process.
- This position is based in Richmond, CA and may require some travel.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.