*About the Role*
The Global Network Infrastructure team is responsible for designing, implementing, and operating Uber's production datacenter, backbone, and cloud interconnect infrastructure. Our foundational work supports all of Uber's exciting business initiatives.
The Uber Metal organization builds and manages the compute, storage, and network infrastructure that supports Uber's workloads globally. Within Metal, the Global Network Infrastructure team is looking for a Senior Network Engineer who will help design, develop, and deliver next-generation network solutions that increase the efficiency, reliability, performance and agility of Uber's production network.
*What You'll Do*
* Design, engineer, build and support all facets of our production on-prem, cloud, transit and backbone networks.
* Responsible for ensuring the network availability, performance and future scalability for the entire Uber platform, spanning both on-premise and Cloud environments.
* Help design and deploy our automated provisioning, telemetry and problem remediation tools.
* Embrace cross-team collaboration. You’ll work closely with people across multiple Engineering and Business organizations to develop and implement network-based solutions that support our global growth.
* Apply your intellectual curiosity and research new technologies; figure out their practical applications within our principles and then bring it to life in our production networks.
* 5+ years of relevant network engineering experience.
* Strong expertise in TCP, IPv4/6 and dynamic routing protocols such as BGP.
* Experience with Cloud networking in either Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform environments.
* Proficiency in one or more programming or scripting languages such as Go, Java, or Python with 2+ years experience in any highly desirable
* Previous stints at large enterprise or service-provider networks where you were responsible for design and architecture of IP networks.
* Knowledge of Linux and experience troubleshooting the life of a packet from client to server and back, and all possible intermediate nodes along the way.
* A relentless desire to build each network better than the last. Treat networking, operational efficiency, and automation as sciences with room for artful breakthroughs.
* Knowledge about distributed systems such as software load balancers, DNS, VM/container networking (e.g. VIPs, IP tunnels, VXLANs), etc.
* Experience for Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV), or/and Network operating systems.
* You have great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution. You are open-minded to discuss various technical approaches and able to drive consensus across various stakeholders at Uber.
* You are passionate about leveraging software innovations to automate network management, improve network observability, and remediate problems.